ASP .NET a downgrade from what VB, ActiveX and Visiual Studio could do - Help?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JS, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    Hello,

    I am using ASP .Net to create my own web controls and I have noticed that
    there is one too many requirements that forces the developer to be aware of
    and get involved with. In the past the developer could choose between using
    VC++ and/or VB to create active X controls which primarily only required for
    the developer to focus on the logic of the code behind of what the control
    needed to accomplished. The new Visual Studio .Net does leave a lot to
    desire from what the old Visual Studio 6.0 allowed to do. Now I have to:

    - Render the control (Studio 6.0 allowed for me to just drag the look and
    feel that I wanted): Is this a something that Microsoft did not have the
    time to think of? Or have they just decided that the world needs more
    developers ... What happened to the concept of ZERO Coding? What happened
    to the fact that the business analysts will be able to compose Software
    applications together?

    - There are one too many Interfaces and idiosyncrasies that makes it a
    tougher element to learn - To begin with the books out there are very poor
    (actually one of the best websites I found was www.asp.net - which you would
    think would carry least clear content) - Microsoft Press books are faulty
    and WROX (you know what WROX is all about - copy and paste - lines and lines
    of useless code).

    - Visual Studio intelli...what? The GUI gives me bogus reactions to
    what I type - and only after compilation will it then refresh what the real
    syntax errors may be located at (even if there is an option to fix this,
    then why is it not on by default...)

    I would like to know if Microsoft or any other vendor is trying to make
    ASP .Net Custom Control development a much easier task than what it is
    today. What happened to Click-Drag and Drop? I want to create a DLL like I
    used to be able to do so using VB. And no, I don't want to conform with
    just creating User Custom User Web Form Controls (ascx), but rather true
    custom controls that get compiled to DLLs.

    Anybody has some insight about new IDEs that may attempt to ease up the
    development of custom ASP.NET controls?

    Thank you,

    Pete

    JS, Jun 7, 2004

  2. 1. It gets better in .NET 2.0.
    2. For more power, you often take a step back to go forward
    3. Much of your complaint is your heavy understanding of COM and not of .NET

    Yes, it is a bit of a pain, but, realistically, ActiveX was a pain, as well.
    The pains were just different types of pains and you are not used to this
    pain.

    Now, depending on what you are using controls for, there are ways around the
    pain. User controls are easier to code than server controls. The problem is
    they do not render in the IDE. For elements repeated on each page, both will
    do. In .NET 2.0, you will have master pages, which further simplify this
    model.

    Books: Wrox is dead. The MSPress books are actually fairly decent, esp.
    compared to old MS Press books. The APress stuff is a bit too specific. Many
    try to write ASP in ASP.NET. Yuck! The free material on the MSDN site is
    fairly decent, including free downloads of a variety of books. The
    www.asp.net site is written by some really good guys at Microsoft, many of
    whom used to write for Wrox. ;->

    The biggest issue I had, coming from VB COM and ASP, was making the paradigm
    shift. Now, I hate having to go back to legacy COM work.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Jun 7, 2004