ASP.NET ActiveX

IntraRELY

I need to verify something. I have an ASP.NET Web Applications that needs to
call a local VB.NET application. From my understanding I need to use Active
X to do so. Is there any other way considering purely .NET. Also any
articles using these technologies would be appreciated.

Steve

Kevin Spencer

If it's a VB.Net Windows Form, you can embed it in an ASP.Net web page.

--
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer

IntraRELY

Thanks all,

The entire application is online or rather an intraNet. But I need to
initiate the local application from within one of the aspx pages. We are
running a local print application that is taking data from the datagrid
(from the users perspective) and passing it to a local application. The
local application is actually calling a web service to retrieve the records
to print that the web application has marked for print. Then the local print
app, updates the database through a web service and when you then view the
datagrid, it will show those records as printed.

TIA,

Steve

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I am interested in this issue and researching on it now. I will update you
as soon as possilbe.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Firstly I want to thank Kevin and Steve for their great help in this issue.

As I understand, you want to start an application/process in your web
application.

If you want to do it on the server side, we can use the Process class.

Process Class
frlrfsystemdiagnosticsprocessclasstopic.asp
"...
Provides access to local and remote processes and enables you to start and
stop local system processes.
..."

If you want to do it on the client side, we can use the Shell.Exec.

Driving Applications
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/ht
ml/wscondrivingapplications.asp
"...
Spawning Programs with Shell.Exec Command
..."

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.