ASP .NET and ASP style confusion. Immediate solution required

Guest

Hi all,

Consider the following ASP program.

`````````````
OLD ASP STYLE
`````````````

~~~~~~~~~~
header.inc
~~~~~~~~~~

OF EACH PAGE -->

~~~~~~~~~~
footer.inc
~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~
index.asp
~~~~~~~~~~
<%@ Language="VB" %>
<%
Dim DEFINED_VAR
DEFINED_VAR = "Print this"
%>
<!-- #include file="header.inc"-->
<!-- #include file="footer.inc"-->

`````````````
..NET STYLE
`````````````

~~~~~~~~~~
header.ascx
~~~~~~~~~~

<%@ Control language="VB" AutoEventWiredUp=False
Codebehind="HeaderControl.aspx.vb" %>

~~~~~~~~~~
footer.ascx
~~~~~~~~~~

<%@ Control language="VB" AutoEventWiredUp=False
Codebehind="FooterControl.aspx.vb" %>

~~~~~~~~~~
index.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~
<%@ Page Language="VB" Codebehing="Page.aspx.vb" AutoEventWiredUp=false %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="Pagination" TagPrefix="Header" src="header.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="Pagination" TagPrefix="Footer" src="footer.ascx" %>

<%
Dim DEFINED_VAR
DEFINED_VAR = "Print this"
%>

<Pagination:Header id="header1" runat=server />
<Pagination:Footer id="footer1" runat=server />

Note: What I want to do is to pass the DEFINED_VAR in header.ascx file,
similar to OLD ASP scenario.

How can i achieve that in .NET

Your help is immediately required.

Scott Allen

Does the value of DEFINED_VAR change on each request or is it more of
a configuration settings?

If it is constant, you could make the variable the static member of a
class (shared member in vb.net).

Otherwise, you could store a value in the Context.Items collection, it
is useful to communicate state during the processing of a single
request.