ASP.NET and IIS7 on vista business

ma

Hello,

I am new to IIS and ASP.NET. I wrote my first ASP.NET and I want to deploy
in to a system which has Vista Business and IIS7. I copied my files to the
target computer and created a virtual directory. I add default.aspx to the
list of default pages for the virtual directory. My problems are:

1- On vista computer I am trying to see the output of my ASP.NET
application. When I open an IE and point it to localhost/myapplication, it
gives me an error 404.3 and the description for the error is: the mime type
for the page is not known (it could not detect how to process aspx files).
How can I solve this problem?

2- When I am trying to connect to IIS server from other computer in the
network, I am getting http 404 error (file or directory not found). It even
can not find the vdir that I created.

Any help or any point to tutorial is very appreciated.

Regards

ma

Thanks for your information but I have problem running this command:

I open a command window in Vista and run the following command:

aspnet.regiis.exe -i

but I am getting the error that aspnet_regiss.exe is not a command.
Apparently it is not known by vista and it is not in its path.

any suggestion?

Regards

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Simply register asp.net with IIS.

Go to the VS command prompt and run this:

aspnet_regiis.exe -i

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

ma said:
[...]

You need to go to the Visual Studio command prompt. Find it in

Start > Programs >Microsoft Visual Studio 200x > Visual Studio Tools

--

ma said:
[...]

I don't have VS on that computer. Do I need a VS which is supposed to
work as a server?

Regards

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

No, you don't need VS. Just go to your framework directory. like

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

--

ma said:
Thanks for your information but I have problem running this command:

I open a command window in Vista and run the following command:

aspnet.regiis.exe -i

but I am getting the error that aspnet_regiss.exe is not a command.
Apparently it is not known by vista and it is not in its path.

any suggestion?

Regards

message Simply register asp.net with IIS.

[...]

David Wang

The resolution here is to install ASP.Net support into IIS7, not run
aspnet_regiis.exe.

You will need to enable the ASP.Net Feature in IIS7 to be able to run
your ASP.Net application on it, and this is how you do it:
Open Control Panel
Programs\Turn Windows Features on or off
Internet Information Services
World Wide Web Services
Application development Features
ASP.Net <-- check mark here

When you do that checkmark, several other dependency features will
auto select. That is ok.

For those interested in the details and rationales
This is an additional step not required of IIS6 since IIS6 installed
everything by default and gave you no such choice. IIS7 allows
ultimate customization and configuration of what is installed, but
that leaves open the possibility that you may try to run something for
which you have not installed proper support since default IIS7
installation is very spartan and secure.

If you get 404.3 from IIS7 running ASP.Net page is it most likely
because you did not install ASP.Net support in IIS7. Default IIS7
installation only serves static files, which means that when it tries
to serve .aspx as a static file it won't find a MIME Type defined
for .aspx (it shouldn't -- .aspx needs to be processed on the server,
not returned verbatim to the client), and thus return 404.3.

Getting a 404.3 for .aspx means that the handler definition for .aspx
is missing, so the request is incorrectly falling through to the
static file handler. And the .aspx handler is missing because ASP.Net
Feature is not installed to add it. Even if you use aspnet_regiis.exe
to generate the handler configuration, you *still* need to install the
actual binaries implementing ASP.Net as Windows Features, and
aspnet_regiis.exe cannot do that. ASP.Net functionality needs at least
the ISAPI Extension and ISAPI Filter Features for Classic Mode and Web
Engine for Integrated Mode, none of which are installed by default nor
installable by aspnet_regiis.exe.

Now, IIS7 is not installed by default, and the default IIS
configuration only serves static files with anonymous authentication.
It does not serve CGI, ISAPI, ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, Perl, etc -- nothing
other than static HTML. This is the secure "default" configuration.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

[...]