ASP.NET and Linux

Mark Goldin

Can I run my aspx pages from Linux box?
Will these pages be able to connect to SQL server?

Thanks

Curt_C [MVP]

not really. ASP.NET is designed to run on the WinOS platform since it
requires the .NET framework and IIS.
There may be some "workaround" but it will be a kludge at best.

Scott Allen

Hi Mark:

The short answers are:

Yes, you can run ASP.NET on Linux with Mono (http://www.go-mono.com).
At least a couple popular open source ASP.NET applications (dasBlog,
FlexWiki) run on Linux, with a few tweaks.

Yes, there is a SQL Server provider available
(http://www.go-mono.com/sqlclient.html).

The longer answer would depend on exactly what your application does.
If your application writes to the registry or uses COM+ transactions
then you'll need to change some code. Even little things (like having
a case sensitive file system) might trip up the code.

msnews.microsoft.com

Try posting this question in a Linux forum, and tell us what they say. lol!

Mark Goldin

But is it possible to build a single distributable assembly that will
include all code, so I won't need to
distribute any additional components?

Curt_C said:
doubtfull.... they are Windows based DLL's so it's very unlikely

Lau Lei Cheong

I've completed installation on a RedHat 9 box for half day.(started from
11:30 and finished at 15:15)

Although it does require some tricks to finish the installation, the box now
runs my web application without problem(not fully tested).

The mono packages needs wine to install so I think that's why it can use
DLLs.

Marc Jennings

If you are running a Linux box, use a good scripting langauge like
PHP.

(Let the flames commence! ;) )

Curt_C [MVP]

Why do you think it's a flame issue?
If you are running a *nix OS I'd probably run PHP as well, the thing is
though that for WinOS one of your more powerfull options is the ASP.NET
platform. Simply a matter of what's available and what your needs are.

Marc Jennings

I just know that there are plenty of people out there who feel very
strongly about the issue. I have come from a PHP background (only
started in C# because I *had* to), and in my initial investigations of
the language, I found a fair bit or zealotry (on both sides)

Curt_C [MVP]

Indeed that there is. It's like that with most things I've found, especially
when you have groups that tend to be younger and more intelligent the your
"joe schmoe" on the street which most developers are. Add in the male ego
(which most are male) and it's especially bad. I should write a book on
that.........

|grb at ihug.co.nz|

Curt,

Are you saying that running a Windows app on WINE is illegal?
Can you please give an example.

Thank you

Guy

Lau Lei Cheong

I've spent some time with licence agreement for installing .NET runtimes,
seems that it doesn't prevent people from running it on an emulator.

And if there's such terms that applications on one platform must not run on
another platform using emulators, Microsoft should not sell "Virtual PC" at
all.

Also, "WINE"(WINdows Emulator) have been around for some times, majorly
solving problem on running office applications like "MS Office" on Linux.
Should that be any problem, Micosoft should have stopped them long ago, or
at least have some announcement on the issue.

Lau Lei Cheong

I'm aware that my former post on report on using "mono" on Linux has be
deleted. While I still respect the authority of system admins to delete
messages they see inappropiate, I don't think there's anything insuitable on
"reporting the usability of a tool that allow ASP .NET application on a
platform other than Windows" on an "ASP.NET" newsgroup. And "mono" CAN be
run on Windows equipped with Apache Web Server, just for your information.

Curt_C [MVP]

I do believe so yes. I dont have the exact link but do some googling. It was
a big issue a year or two ago. Bascially what it boils down to is that some
products, like MS ones, were expressly written to be run on the WinOS
platform only. The license agreement you click "agree" to when installing
may even mention this. Often it's not for limiting the users options but for
solidifying the test base.
If I write a windows app or component I expect it to be run on a WinOS. Just
becuse a user finds some way to tweak something else does not mean it's ok
to use it. To say the least it negates any service agreement and/or
technical support options.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

msnews.microsoft.com

Most people who use PHP are the younger crowd who got into PHP on their own,
since it's open source and cheap I guess. They get into a real world and us
"real programmers" see them writing in it and we're like what the hell is
this junk!? ;) Anyway, my point was why would you use .NET on Linux.
Obviously, portability reasons, but you lose a lot when you use a platform
that doesn't fully support your app.

-Max