ASP.NET and managed C++: Access violation when AppDomain is unloaded.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by news, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. news

    news Guest

    Hello,

    We are having the following scenario:

    A ASP.NET Application (C#) is using a managed C++ assembly, which is a thin
    wrapper around an old C++ lib.
    (We are using .NET framework 1.1)

    In the managed C++ assembly there are some managed (gc) and some unmanaged
    (nogc) classes. There is one unmanaged class (a singleton), which has a
    reference (gcroot/GCHandle) to a System.Collections.Hashtable.

    So the callgraph is something like this: .NET --> C++ --> .NET

    Everything works fine, until ASP.NET decides to unload and reload the
    AppDomain. (e.g. touching the web.config/machine.config).
    If now a call is made to the component, it crashes at the point, where the
    referenced Hashtable (GCHandle) is used.

    I saw a few articles about this problem, including a bug report in msdn
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;309694).
    The bug report applies to .NET framework 1.0, so I'm wondering, if this bug
    still exists in 1.1?

    Is this a known bug in 1.1 too? Will the next version of the framework fix
    this?
    Are there any other workarounds beside the solutions in 309694.

    Thanks in advance,

    Hans-J├╝rgen.

    news, Oct 6, 2004