ASP.NET and OLE DB Provider problems

Aras Kucinskas

Hi All,

I have problem to accessing FoxPro database, located on Novell file server,
over the VFPOLEDB.1 provider from my webservice. The connection string is
like "Data
Source=\\Skuba_srv\DATA\SKUBA.DOS\L-DISKAS\Work\Pvskuba\DATA;Provider=VFPOLE
DB.1"

The Err message:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Invalid path or file name. at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr) at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider() at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() at ws.Service.GetCnnString() in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ws\Service.asmx.vb:line 81

I think the problem is in some windows account rights. By default "ASP.NET
State Service" logs on as Local System Account, but this account dose not
have rights on Novell. I have windows account that has granted access to
database located on Novell. I tried to start ASP.NET State Service on this
account but problem persists.
Maybe similar configuration is needed for other services?

Any suggestion?

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

You have the right diagnosis but the plan of treatment is not right.

Running the ASP.NET State Service as a different user will not help. It is
not the state service that is trying to access the FP database on a Novell
server. It is the ASP.NET worker process. Your code.

By modifying the web.config file, you can enable each ASP.NET app to login
as a particular user. The relevant bits look like this:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<identity impersonate="true" /> <!-- results in identity of
IUSR_xxxxx -->
-or-
<identity impersonate="true" userName="domain\account"
password="whatever"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

You can also reference an encrypted store for the username and password.
This is obviously preferred for security reasons.

See the full doc here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfidentitysection.asp

-Dino

Aras Kucinskas