ASP.NET and Powerpoint

MattC

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, so apologies in advance, if it's not.

I have a requirement to dynamically generate a powerpoint slide via a
webpage. My first thought was some knid of automation object that
would be created server side and then a link provided for the user to
download.

However, the user wants to be able to see the chart being built up on
screen, so they can see progress. So I think I'm going to have to deal with
some form of
ActiveX control.

Could anyone point me in the direction or supply some tutorials or code
snippets to example how this could be acheived in a ASP.NET webpage.

TIA

MattC

Remy

Sounds like a weird request. Would a normal progress bar do it?
Aspose have a power point component that seems to be pretty good.
Otherwise you can build the powerpoint in the background and just build
some graphs with one of the libs like ChartFX.

Remy Blaettler

MattC

I now, weird. What I thought I might be able to do is load a powerpoint
object in a page then have code behind write out the raw data for the chat,
then have a javascript onload event actually load the data into the Active X
component.

I did this once with a treeview control but this is slightly
more....uhh...complicated.

I'm having trouble finding if this is even possible??

MattC

Remy

What you actually could do is to use VBA in the Powerpoint to build up
the slides.
You can connect to a server via TCP/IP or XML/HTTP to get the data.
It's not easy, but it works. If done something like that for Excel.

Good luck :)

Remy Blaettler
http://www.collaboral.com

MattC

Steve,

This looks promising. After looking into it they are rally only interested
in the charting side of things that powerpoint provides. Now
I think what they are really after is embedding an MSGraph object into the
page. But they want to see the chart build up infront of them as the data
is loaded.

Would Aspose.powerpoint handle this or would I be better trying to find an
ActiveX component that will let me dynamically use MSGraph? Also I'll be
working in C#.

Found it really hard to find any example of how to access these components
in C# and use in a webpage.

TIA

MattC

Remy

If the only want to see a chart on the Web, why not just get on of
these .net charting components?
There are tons out there.

MattC

They definately want it to be PowerPoint. So, given that, does anyone have
any examples of displaying a powerpoint chat in an ASP.NET page where the
chart's data in supplied from a datatale/dataset?

TIA

MattC