Asp.Net and Webservice using Impersonation/App Pools

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jarred Sargent, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Howdy All,

    I've been having a bit of a problem that I can't seem to get a grip on at
    the moment and I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a quick hand :)

    What I have is a Webservice that references an EXE file sitting in
    c:\windows\system32\ . Now if I use a Windows App and access the webservice
    everything goes smoothly.

    If I just invoke the webservice by visiting the asmx file in my browser it
    throws a SystemAccessDenied error. The line it fails on is where I
    instaniate the above mentioned object.

    Now if I move the app in to its own App Pool in IIS set my account (local
    admin) in the identity tab it works fine. If I leave this as normal and put
    impersonation in the web.config file to run as myself the webservice also
    works with out any problems.

    What I want to do is create another local account (well actually it's going
    to be a domain account when I'm finished) and I want to use this account in
    the identity/impersonation section.

    Obviously the main reason behind me trying to do this is I don't want the
    service to run as an Administrator (even local one) and the account will
    have integrated security for SQL most probably as a DBO (requirement of
    other software we use).

    The object itself does use other files in the system32 dir but I've granted
    access to all of these files for said user. It also uses other files in the
    progrm files\common\microsoft\vfp (I can tell this because of FileMon) but
    I've given the user access to all these files as well.

    Originally I thought the problem was somewhere in admin tools --> .Net
    config --> Runtime Security but I now believe it to be a Windows Security
    problem.

    I'm really stuck on this one so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

    Cheers,
    Jarred :)

    Jarred Sargent, Jul 7, 2004