ASP.NET app initialization problem (Failed to map the path)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEJvcm5ob2xt?=, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. I have the following setup:

    A website that is completely accessible to a logged-in user. Access control
    is handled by a third-party external module implemented as an ISAPI filter.

    The /webservices subdirectory contains a public webservice. The ISAPI filter
    is configured to ignore this directory, so it is anonymously accessible.

    When the application is up and running, everything works as expected.
    However if the first access to the application after a restart is made to the
    /webservices directory by an anonymous user, I get the following:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to map the path '/webservices'.]
    System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProcForIIS6.MapPathSlowUsingIISCore(String path) +240
    (complete error message below)

    It seems that the IIS can't initialize the application because the current
    visiting user doesn't have access to the root directory! Why does MapPath
    need the current user to be able to access the web application's root
    directory? Is it trying to read web.config in some strange way (if so -
    shouldn't this be done directly through the file system instead of through
    the IIS)?

    If the first access to the application after a restart is made to the root
    directory by a regular authenticated user it initializes fine and subsequent
    anonmyous access to the /webservices directory works fine as well...

    Anyone with enough knowledge of ASP.NET's inner workings to help me out?

    ---
    [HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to map the path '/webservices'.]
    System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequestInProcForIIS6.MapPathSlowUsingIISCore(String path) +240
    System.Web.Hosting.ISAPIWorkerRequest.MapPath(String path) +419
    System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.ComposeConfig(String
    reqPath, IHttpMapPath configmap) +459
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfigRecord(String reqpath,
    IHttpMapPath configmap) +434
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetCompleteConfig() +49
    System.Web.HttpContext.GetConfig(String name) +195
    System.Web.CustomErrors.GetSettings(HttpContext context, Boolean
    canThrow) +20
    System.Web.HttpResponse.ReportRuntimeError(Exception e, Boolean canThrow)
    +39
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FinishRequest(HttpWorkerRequest wr, HttpContext
    context, Exception e) +486
    ---
    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEJvcm5ob2xt?=, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Does no-one have knowledge of the inner workings of initializing ASP.NET apps?
    --
    Iteam Solutions - Microsoft Certified ISV Partner (www.iteam.se)

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEJvcm5ob2xt?=, Oct 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEJvcm5ob2xt?=

    George Guest

    You config is rather complicated and it's hard to tell you anything here.
    To be honest with you i did not even understand your configuration especially you are using some custom ISAPI filter i do not have knowledge about.

    I would try to configure the /WebService subfolder as an application in IIS management console. That might help.

    George.

    George, Oct 17, 2005