ASP.NET app - Slow initial load IIS6

Med

Hi,

Initial load of my ASP.NET app takes 50 seconds to load. Then it become
fairly fast. Followings are my app/hardware configs:

Server/IIS:
-----------
IIS 6 running on Hosted VPS Windows 2003 Enterprise, with allocated 512MB
RAM. Lots of memory still available when my app runs. CPU usage is low too.
Application pool default settings.

ASP.NET:
--------
ASP.NET 3.5 using "StateServer" service.

Initially I thought delay was caused by SQL connection, so I created a blank
asp.net app, with one page (default.aspx) only. This page does not try to
connect to SQL on load. It only does this when a button on default.aspx is
clicked which calculates connection time.

When I tried to load default.aspx, it still took more than 50 seconds to
load. Considering there is no code to run when this page loads. SQL
Connection takes less than 7 millisecond to execute. So SQL connection is
not source of the problem.

Does anyone knows possible cause of this delay? I think it is asp.net/IIS
related or might have something to do with app pooling or "StateServer"
service perhaps?

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

Med

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Med said:
Hi,

Initial load of my ASP.NET app takes 50 seconds to load. Then it
become fairly fast. Followings are my app/hardware configs:

50 secs sounds a "bit" longer than one would expect for the initial
compilation of your dll to take. It is to be expected that the first load of
the app will take longer than subsequent loads because of the compilation
that takes place the first time the app is called.
I've not run into this type of delay so all I can do is fall back on my
canned .Net reply:

recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest