ASP.NET application cannot access network drive

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by James N, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. James N

    James N Guest

    My ASP.NET application needs read/write permissions for drive "Z:",
    which is mapped to my Linksys Gigadrive (Network Attached Storage...if
    anyone is familiar with that).

    If I configure the Gigadrive with "Guest" access rights, then everything
    works fine, BUT this leaves the drive vulnerable to everyone/everything
    including network viruses. Lately, my drive has had several attacks by
    the Lovegate virus.

    Eliminating such attacks requires making my drive private, meaning I
    must remove "Guest" access rights and only allow logged-in users to
    access the drive through the ASP.NET applicaiton.

    The problem is that without "guest" access rights, the ASP.NET
    application itself cannot access the drive!

    Is my ASP.NET application a "user" that I must add to the list of
    priviledged users on the Gigadrive? Well, I tried adding users "ASPNET"
    and "IUSR_MyComputer" to the Gigadrive, but it didnt seem to work.

    Again, if I allow the "Everyone" group (which includes the user "Guest")
    to have persmission to the drive, then everything works.

    Can someone please help me?

    James N, Jul 16, 2003