asp.NET application deployment problems...

Guest

Hi there

I am used to doing my asp.NET development exclusively for intranet sites
where I have full access to the IIS / SQL machines... I have a situation
where an application needs to be run on an ISPs Server and I am having more
than a little bit of difficulty - hopefully someone will excuse the probably
basic nature of this situation and help me out.

Obviously I can not copy the project directly in to the IIS on the remote
server as this requires admin rights and they are not going to give me that.
I have read a few things on line which imply that I should be able to copy
the code required just to run the project to another folder on my development
server, and then simply copy these files to the FTP location I have been
provided.

This does not work, and I'm hoping to find out if this is something I am
doing wrong, or if the remote server is configured incorrectly (I obviously
have no access to the server itself, but I'm not going to start chasing the
ISP around if I am the one doing something wrong !)

The files copy over. The ISP has set up a temporary DNS name for testing and
I can browse to a standard index.htm file that just has an html label in
it... fine - But when I try to browse to one of my aspx files it immediately
bombs out with the standard asp.NET error - Runtime Error (blah blah, please
change customErrors mode = "off" if you want to find out why) - my
customErrors mode is off and I get no information from the app at all.

What's wrong here please ?

Thanks for your help

Stuart

Karl Seguin

Stuart:
It's impossible to tell from what you've told us :(

Why not start with a simple aspx page with no asp.net in it...just a
aspx extension. If that works, slowly add to it to see what's breaks it.

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
annoying)

Guest

Thanks for the response Karl

I shall continue to play... being alien to a situation where I can not
configure IIS and the web server myself - I just wanted to be fairly sure
that I wasn't doing something completely daft !

Oddly enough - I have just tried uploading an 'empty' aspx file and the
server appears to be off line at the moment - so maybe the ISP has realised
that something is up their end (i.e. it doesn't run asp.net !)

I'll come back if problems persist