asp.NET application deployment problems...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0?=, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Hi there

    I am used to doing my asp.NET development exclusively for intranet sites
    where I have full access to the IIS / SQL machines... I have a situation
    where an application needs to be run on an ISPs Server and I am having more
    than a little bit of difficulty - hopefully someone will excuse the probably
    basic nature of this situation and help me out.

    Obviously I can not copy the project directly in to the IIS on the remote
    server as this requires admin rights and they are not going to give me that.
    I have read a few things on line which imply that I should be able to copy
    the code required just to run the project to another folder on my development
    server, and then simply copy these files to the FTP location I have been
    provided.

    This does not work, and I'm hoping to find out if this is something I am
    doing wrong, or if the remote server is configured incorrectly (I obviously
    have no access to the server itself, but I'm not going to start chasing the
    ISP around if I am the one doing something wrong !)

    The files copy over. The ISP has set up a temporary DNS name for testing and
    I can browse to a standard index.htm file that just has an html label in
    it... fine - But when I try to browse to one of my aspx files it immediately
    bombs out with the standard asp.NET error - Runtime Error (blah blah, please
    change customErrors mode = "off" if you want to find out why) - my
    customErrors mode is off and I get no information from the app at all.

    What's wrong here please ?

    Thanks for your help

    Stuart

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0?=, Jun 21, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0?=

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Stuart:
    It's impossible to tell from what you've told us :(

    Why not start with a simple aspx page with no asp.net in it...just a
    aspx extension. If that works, slowly add to it to see what's breaks it.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)

    Karl Seguin, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Thanks for the response Karl

    I shall continue to play... being alien to a situation where I can not
    configure IIS and the web server myself - I just wanted to be fairly sure
    that I wasn't doing something completely daft !

    Oddly enough - I have just tried uploading an 'empty' aspx file and the
    server appears to be off line at the moment - so maybe the ISP has realised
    that something is up their end (i.e. it doesn't run asp.net !)

    I'll come back if problems persist

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1YXJ0?=, Jun 21, 2005