    Always when I open this solution, VS.NET tries to open the web projects on different places (<original name> followed by "_1", "_2", ...). Has anyone got any sucess doing this kind of thing?

    Thanks

    ps. My projects resides in a folder that's not "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". Actually, it's a folder located at "C:\VSSBASE". This is a pattern used where I work..., so I'd like not been changing it... I used to work with simple web projects without problems.

    Galore, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Galore

    Scott Allen Guest

    The three important steps I've taken were to :

    1) Put the web project in a subdirectory of the sln file.
    2) Add the web project to source control with the IDE (File -> Source
    Control -> Add Solution to Source Control).
    3) When opening the project for the first time, use File -> Source
    Control -> Open from source control. I also would precreate the
    virtual directory in IIS for the web project and point it to the
    physical directory where I wanted the project to live.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,

    But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
    from VSS into a new directory?

    I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
    try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
    allow) the custom mapping.

    Hope to hear from you.

    Sincerely,

    Danny

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFubnkgTWlsbGVy?=, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Galore

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Danny:

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:43:05 -0800, Danny Miller
    <> wrote:

    >Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,
    >
    >But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
    >from VSS into a new directory?
    >
    >I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
    >try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
    >allow) the custom mapping.
    >
    >Hope to hear from you.

    It's a huge pain in the butt - thanks to Visual Studios tight coupling
    with IIS.

    I have a build engine that pulls the source code, creates a virtual
    directory, and generates a .webinfo file to let Visual Studio know
    where to look for the project.

    I also added a devenv <project> /runexit step, as that seems to help
    VS.NET synch some internal setting to point to the right project and
    vdir, once that step is complete i can do a build.

    Not sure if I am making any sense - I try not to think about what a
    pain this is and just hope 2.0 comes soon so I can forget about it.

    P.S. the MS solution is to always pull source into the same directory
    structure and vdir - then build - then copy it all out to an archive
    spot.

    Scott Allen, Mar 8, 2005