ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects

Galore

Hello!

I'm trying to setup an ASP.NET multiple web projects application, following the article How To Create an ASP.NET Application from Multiple Projects for Team Development. I could do it without any trouble, but when I put this solution on Visual Source Safe, my nigthmare begins....

Always when I open this solution, VS.NET tries to open the web projects on different places (<original name> followed by "_1", "_2", ...). Has anyone got any sucess doing this kind of thing?

Thanks

ps. My projects resides in a folder that's not "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\". Actually, it's a folder located at "C:\VSSBASE". This is a pattern used where I work..., so I'd like not been changing it... I used to work with simple web projects without problems.

Scott Allen

The three important steps I've taken were to :

1) Put the web project in a subdirectory of the sln file.
2) Add the web project to source control with the IDE (File -> Source
Control -> Add Solution to Source Control).
3) When opening the project for the first time, use File -> Source
Control -> Open from source control. I also would precreate the
virtual directory in IIS for the web project and point it to the
physical directory where I wanted the project to live.

Guest

Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,

But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
from VSS into a new directory?

I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
allow) the custom mapping.

Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Danny

Scott Allen

Hi Danny:

Ok this may (or may not) work in a manual setting,

But what if you're running an automated build process that gets the source
from VSS into a new directory?

I'm able to automate the creation of the virtual directory mapping but if I
try to automate the build using devenv.exe it doesn't recognise (or perhaps
allow) the custom mapping.

Hope to hear from you.

It's a huge pain in the butt - thanks to Visual Studios tight coupling
with IIS.

I have a build engine that pulls the source code, creates a virtual
directory, and generates a .webinfo file to let Visual Studio know
where to look for the project.

I also added a devenv <project> /runexit step, as that seems to help
VS.NET synch some internal setting to point to the right project and
vdir, once that step is complete i can do a build.

Not sure if I am making any sense - I try not to think about what a
pain this is and just hope 2.0 comes soon so I can forget about it.

P.S. the MS solution is to always pull source into the same directory
structure and vdir - then build - then copy it all out to an archive
spot.