asp.net application hangs

Loane Sharp

Hi there

I've got a hang of a problem ...

I'm running the .NET framework (2.0.40903), SQL Server 2000 and SQL Express
2005 on Windows XP Pro on a pretty good and new IBM Thinkpad X41.

Some time ago, following the advice in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/codecompilation.asp, I
used aspnet_compiler.exe to compile my application. Soon thereafter, every
time I made a change to the underlying .aspx script, my application started
to hang, requiring a cold boot of the system. At first, I thought that this
might be due to the very large number of files in my virtual directory
(about 80,000 files); i.e. I thought that, perhaps, each time I changed an
underlying .aspx script file, aspnet_compiler.exe was recompiling my entire
application, which is pretty large mostly on account of there being so many
charts in JPG files. So, suspecting this, I produced the charts on-the-fly
using Office Web Components (rather than physically stored as pre-made
charts), which I needed to do anyway, but still the problem remained.

Trying something different, I noticed that, when I make a change to the
underlying .aspx script and then attempt to load this page in Internet
Explorer, SQL Server hangs too. (Nothing appears to happen to SQL Express
2005, except when Windows as a whole collapses a few minutes later.) If I
have an active ADO connection between Excel and SQL Server, before Windows
crashes, I get a message that SQL Server timed out. I tried to spot
something unusual about SQL Server's behaviour using sysinternals.com's File
Monitor, but I'm not entirely sure I knew what I was looking for. Anyway my
latest thinking on this is that there might be some conflict between SQL
Server (I'm using named pipes to connect to the server) and my ASP.NET
application. Is this possible?

I was frustrated at first, but have become alarmed since my first ever "STOP
0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x804F28BA, 0xF0CE2878, 0x00000000)" notification,
after which I've done a memory dump and sent this into the ether using
Microsoft's error reporting service. I've had 3 of these in the last few
days, so I back up twice a day and have a new machine on order. (The advice
given by Microsoft's error reporting service is that I may need to change
the video adapter, disable a driver, or upgrade my BIOS, which doesn't rule
out a hardware problem).

Is there a solution, or at least an interpretation of the problem, that I'm
missing?

Best regards
Loane

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

I know this doesn't help much, but I would never ever install .Net framework
2.0 and SQL Express 2005 on my dev box while still in early beta stages.
Especially given that they will mix with SQL Server 2000 and anything else
installed on the machine. Its not surprising you have problems with that
setup.

My advice is rebuild the laptop, install VPC and run SQL Express and the
V2.0 of the framework in a clean image of XP or Win2000/Win2003.

Note you may still have a hardware problem but I'd be looking at software
conflicts first.

--

- Paul Glavich
ASP.NET MVP

Loane Sharp said:
Hi there

I've got a hang of a problem ...

I'm running the .NET framework (2.0.40903), SQL Server 2000 and SQL Express
2005 on Windows XP Pro on a pretty good and new IBM Thinkpad X41.

Some time ago, following the advice in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/codecompilation.asp, I

Tarren

I am having the SAME EXACT problem since Sunday, Jan 9.

I am running Windows XP SP2 fully patched w/SQL Server 2000 SP3

- It only does this if I resave an aspx file. It does not occur on loading
the first instance of the file, but if I change anything in the aspx and
resave, then IIS will hang when I try to load in internet explorer. This
happens without having to recompile. The site works fine if I recompile and
reload (as long as I do not change any text in the aspx file). If the ASPX
is changed in any way (even with notepad) IIS hangs and eventually
everything on the box hangs and i have to do hard reset and cold boot.
- It puts nothing in the event viewer. I have left for up to 15 minutes and
still in hang state.

I thought somehow I corrupted the installation of Windows/IIS/.NET
Framework/ASP .NET so I spent all last night rebuilding the box.

So, this problem is not confined to .NET 2.0 / SQL Server 2005, but the
timeframe in which this occurred is the same. Maybe one of the new
Microsoft patches that corrupted something important? When I reinstalled I
was so tired that I inadvertntly patched the box
with all of the MS critical patches, and so, this morning, with a fresh
patched installation of everything (zero errors during any of the installs),
I am in the same state that I have been since Sunday.

Prior to Sunday everything was working fine.

Any help????

Tarren

In one of the other groups, a guy had the same issue and narrowed it down to
Zone Alarm. He uninstalled and reinstalled an older version (you can
download older versions from ZoneLabs) and it worked. I did the same and
uninstalled zonealarm and reinstalled v55_062_000 and the issue has gone
away.

Thank the maker!

Hope this helps!

Loane Sharp

Hi Tarren

Thanks very much, I thought I was losing my mind...

Everything now works perfectly.

Best regards
Loane

android

This proble caused me a lot of pain too.
First I uninstalled .NET VS 2003 and IIS, then applied XP SP2, the
installed IIS & VS.NET. But that did not help at all.

Following the zone-alarm hint I removed NOD32 antivirus and everythin
was ok again.

Strangely, diasabling nod32 did not make any difference before. I wil
now try to configure nod to exclude IIS from scanning.

I have had some networking problems before. Nod was involved too.

Andre

-
androi