asp.net application hangs

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Loane Sharp, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Loane Sharp

    Loane Sharp Guest

    Hi there

    I've got a hang of a problem ...

    I'm running the .NET framework (2.0.40903), SQL Server 2000 and SQL Express
    2005 on Windows XP Pro on a pretty good and new IBM Thinkpad X41.

    Some time ago, following the advice in
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/codecompilation.asp, I
    used aspnet_compiler.exe to compile my application. Soon thereafter, every
    time I made a change to the underlying .aspx script, my application started
    to hang, requiring a cold boot of the system. At first, I thought that this
    might be due to the very large number of files in my virtual directory
    (about 80,000 files); i.e. I thought that, perhaps, each time I changed an
    underlying .aspx script file, aspnet_compiler.exe was recompiling my entire
    application, which is pretty large mostly on account of there being so many
    charts in JPG files. So, suspecting this, I produced the charts on-the-fly
    using Office Web Components (rather than physically stored as pre-made
    charts), which I needed to do anyway, but still the problem remained.

    Trying something different, I noticed that, when I make a change to the
    underlying .aspx script and then attempt to load this page in Internet
    Explorer, SQL Server hangs too. (Nothing appears to happen to SQL Express
    2005, except when Windows as a whole collapses a few minutes later.) If I
    have an active ADO connection between Excel and SQL Server, before Windows
    crashes, I get a message that SQL Server timed out. I tried to spot
    something unusual about SQL Server's behaviour using sysinternals.com's File
    Monitor, but I'm not entirely sure I knew what I was looking for. Anyway my
    latest thinking on this is that there might be some conflict between SQL
    Server (I'm using named pipes to connect to the server) and my ASP.NET
    application. Is this possible?

    I was frustrated at first, but have become alarmed since my first ever "STOP
    0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x804F28BA, 0xF0CE2878, 0x00000000)" notification,
    after which I've done a memory dump and sent this into the ether using
    Microsoft's error reporting service. I've had 3 of these in the last few
    days, so I back up twice a day and have a new machine on order. (The advice
    given by Microsoft's error reporting service is that I may need to change
    the video adapter, disable a driver, or upgrade my BIOS, which doesn't rule
    out a hardware problem).

    Is there a solution, or at least an interpretation of the problem, that I'm
    missing?

    Best regards
    Loane
    Loane Sharp, Jan 10, 2005

  2. I know this doesn't help much, but I would never ever install .Net framework
    2.0 and SQL Express 2005 on my dev box while still in early beta stages.
    Especially given that they will mix with SQL Server 2000 and anything else
    installed on the machine. Its not surprising you have problems with that
    setup.

    My advice is rebuild the laptop, install VPC and run SQL Express and the
    V2.0 of the framework in a clean image of XP or Win2000/Win2003.

    Note you may still have a hardware problem but I'd be looking at software
    conflicts first.

    --

    - Paul Glavich
    ASP.NET MVP

    Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET], Jan 11, 2005

  3. Loane Sharp

    Tarren Guest

    I am having the SAME EXACT problem since Sunday, Jan 9.

    I am running Windows XP SP2 fully patched w/SQL Server 2000 SP3

    - It only does this if I resave an aspx file. It does not occur on loading
    the first instance of the file, but if I change anything in the aspx and
    resave, then IIS will hang when I try to load in internet explorer. This
    happens without having to recompile. The site works fine if I recompile and
    reload (as long as I do not change any text in the aspx file). If the ASPX
    is changed in any way (even with notepad) IIS hangs and eventually
    everything on the box hangs and i have to do hard reset and cold boot.
    - It puts nothing in the event viewer. I have left for up to 15 minutes and
    still in hang state.

    I thought somehow I corrupted the installation of Windows/IIS/.NET
    Framework/ASP .NET so I spent all last night rebuilding the box.

    So, this problem is not confined to .NET 2.0 / SQL Server 2005, but the
    timeframe in which this occurred is the same. Maybe one of the new
    Microsoft patches that corrupted something important? When I reinstalled I
    was so tired that I inadvertntly patched the box
    with all of the MS critical patches, and so, this morning, with a fresh
    patched installation of everything (zero errors during any of the installs),
    I am in the same state that I have been since Sunday.

    Prior to Sunday everything was working fine.

    Any help????

    Tarren, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Loane Sharp

    Tarren Guest

    In one of the other groups, a guy had the same issue and narrowed it down to
    Zone Alarm. He uninstalled and reinstalled an older version (you can
    download older versions from ZoneLabs) and it worked. I did the same and
    uninstalled zonealarm and reinstalled v55_062_000 and the issue has gone
    away.

    Thank the maker!

    Hope this helps!

    Tarren, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Loane Sharp

    Loane Sharp Guest

    Hi Tarren

    Thanks very much, I thought I was losing my mind...

    Everything now works perfectly.

    Best regards
    Loane

    Loane Sharp, Jan 13, 2005
  6. Loane Sharp

    android Guest

    This proble caused me a lot of pain too.
    First I uninstalled .NET VS 2003 and IIS, then applied XP SP2, the
    installed IIS & VS.NET. But that did not help at all.

    Following the zone-alarm hint I removed NOD32 antivirus and everythin
    was ok again.

    Strangely, diasabling nod32 did not make any difference before. I wil
    now try to configure nod to exclude IIS from scanning.

    I have had some networking problems before. Nod was involved too.

    Andre

    -
    androi
    android, Feb 11, 2005