ASP.NET Application on Remote Share

btysgtmajor

Hi all,

I'm running a Win2003 server w/ IIS 6. The home directory of the
website is on a network share. I successfully host html pages and asp
apps. However, when it comes to ASP.Net web app, I'm having problems.

I believe my permissions are set correctly; however, I don't know too
much about setting up "full trust" or anything like that. Furthermore,
the error message I get on my ASP.NET application doesn't intuitively
seem to point to a "trust" issue, but I can't be sure. The error
message is (from global.asax):

"Could not load type 'MyClass.Global'."

Now, the application is complied and the DLL is in the appropriate
spot. And, what's more, if I move the global.asax into the bin
directory where the DLL is, I get a different error indicating that the
global.asax processed just fine but the other aspx files that need
access to the DLL can't get to it (same "could not load type" kind of
error).

The app does seems to run correctly when I move the content back to the
local server, however.

I've been trying to read up on this but can't seem to find any
definitive answers. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

btysgtmajor

Follow-up: I just used caspol -s off to see if it was a code group
problem. It didn't fix anything. So, I'm guessing it's something
else...Any ideas?

btysgtmajor

Ok, I lied. I forgot to restart IIS when I turned CAS off. It works
now! So, the problem is definitely related to CAS and trust policies.
The problem is, I'm a complete novice when it comes to this kind of
thing. Can anyone lend me a hand? The articles on MSDN are slightly
less than helpful. Thanks again!

btysgtmajor

Ok, I got it. It was definitely the CAS stuff. I had already created a
new zone, but, for some reason, it was treating the remote server (even
though it was on a VPN) as an "Internet" zone instead of "Local
Intranet". Also, when you change anything in CAS, don't forget to
restart IIS!

Cheers!