ASP.NET application performance counters - no apps listed

kierenj

Hi,

On my PCs and servers, when I go to look at Performance Counters for
ASP.NET applications (i.e. per app - requests/sec etc), there are no
apps listed.

According to MSDN, selecting performance object "ASP.NET Apps
v2.0.50727", should give a list of app instances, and a "__Total__"
instance, representing the total from all apps. However, I only get
"__Total__" wherever I look. There are many ASP.NET 2 apps correctly
configured and running on all the PCs and servers I tried. Same for
"ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322". I want stats for just one app though!

If you go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Performance, Add a
counter (The +), select "ASP.NET Apps v2.0.50727", does anyone else
get the apps listed? I am really quite lost, all over the net there
are references to it but no-one with a similar problem!

Can anyone help? This occurs on all the XP Pro / Windows Server 2003
machines I have. They all have all the .NET framework SPs, including
3.5 and 3.5 SP1.

Please, any suggestions greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Kieren

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> According to MSDN, selecting performance object "ASP.NET Apps
!> v2.0.50727", should give a list of app instances, and a "__Total__"
!> instance, representing the total from all apps. However, I only get
!> "__Total__" wherever I look. There are many ASP.NET 2 apps correctly
!> configured and running on all the PCs and servers I tried. Same for
!> "ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322". I want stats for just one app though!

The performance counter app only lists apps with *current* requests in the queue.

To have any app listed, open any of the application's pages in your browser,
and recheck the list. The app whose page you viewed should be listed now.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/