ASP.NET application performance counters - no apps listed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by kierenj, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. kierenj

    kierenj Guest

    Hi,

    On my PCs and servers, when I go to look at Performance Counters for
    ASP.NET applications (i.e. per app - requests/sec etc), there are no
    apps listed.

    According to MSDN, selecting performance object "ASP.NET Apps
    v2.0.50727", should give a list of app instances, and a "__Total__"
    instance, representing the total from all apps. However, I only get
    "__Total__" wherever I look. There are many ASP.NET 2 apps correctly
    configured and running on all the PCs and servers I tried. Same for
    "ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322". I want stats for just one app though!

    If you go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Performance, Add a
    counter (The +), select "ASP.NET Apps v2.0.50727", does anyone else
    get the apps listed? I am really quite lost, all over the net there
    are references to it but no-one with a similar problem!

    Can anyone help? This occurs on all the XP Pro / Windows Server 2003
    machines I have. They all have all the .NET framework SPs, including
    3.5 and 3.5 SP1.

    Please, any suggestions greatly welcomed.

    Thanks
    Kieren
    kierenj, Feb 28, 2009

  2. re:
    !> According to MSDN, selecting performance object "ASP.NET Apps
    !> v2.0.50727", should give a list of app instances, and a "__Total__"
    !> instance, representing the total from all apps. However, I only get
    !> "__Total__" wherever I look. There are many ASP.NET 2 apps correctly
    !> configured and running on all the PCs and servers I tried. Same for
    !> "ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322". I want stats for just one app though!

    The performance counter app only lists apps with *current* requests in the queue.

    To have any app listed, open any of the application's pages in your browser,
    and recheck the list. The app whose page you viewed should be listed now.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 28, 2009