ASP.Net application recycling problem

Andriy Gnennyy

Hello everyone,

We have large and complex ASP.Net web application.
Eventually IIS recycles our application due to deadlock condition. The error
message in the event log looks like this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.0.3705.288
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1003
aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2356) was recycled because it was suspected to be in a
deadlocked state. It did not send any responses for pending requests in the
last 180 seconds.

After that, typically, the application starts without any problems by first
incoming page request. But, sometimes the application doesn't restart
correctly after recycling. Each request produces the following error:

Application crashed.
Reason :
System.Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationException: It is an
error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'
beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory
not being configured as an application in IIS.
(D:\InetPub\wwwroot\web.config line 25)
at System.Web.Configuration.HttpConfigurationSystem.CacheLookup(String
vpath)

The web.config file line 25 is: <authentication mode="Windows" />
Currently we don't have any idea about the reason of such behavior. Could
anybody help with this?

Our environment:
Win 2000,
IIS 5.0,
.Net Framework 1.0,
the application resides in wwwroot,
process isolation level - Medium(pooled)

--
Andriy Gnennyy
pulsar2003@{no-spam}email.ru (Please remove {no-spam} for reply)