ASP.NET applications not running on Win2K laptop

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Werner T via DotNetMonster.com, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. I'm not entirely new to ASP.NET but the following problem has cost me many hours of frustration and I still do not have a solution:

    I have Visual Studio .NET and IIS5 installed on a laptop computer running under Win2K. IIS is ok because when I type http://localhost then I indeed see the Win2000 message and associated asp pages. I can also view any html pages in my inetpub/wwwroot/<project> but no aspx files.

    When I look at the processes in Windows Task Manager then I can see that DLLHOST.EXE, aspnet_state.exe and apsnet_wp.exe is running.

    But if I try to run an aspx page, then my IE6 browser just displays the message "The page cannot be displayed" after a long wait.

    I tried all the possible solutions I could find including the following:

    1. Reinstalled IIS
    2. Reinstalled VS .NET
    3. Re-installed Win2K
    4. Ran the aspnet_regiis.exe" -ir and aspnet_isapi.dll DOS scripts
    5. Re-started IIS so many times I've lost count

    I can really not think anymore what else to try. If you have experienced the same and know the solution then please let me know.

    Werner <werner[AT]wildsoft.org>

    Werner T via DotNetMonster.com, Dec 28, 2004

  2. The first thing you need to do is to go into Internet Explorer,and turn off
    "Friendly Http Error Messages". Thi is done through IE's Tools|Internet
    Options menu, under the Advanced tab. This will enable IE to give you the
    exact error message coming from the server.

    Once you've done that, you might want to come back and share the information
    it gave you, if you are still unable to diagnose the problem.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Thank you Kevin for your suggestion. But in the meantime I made a startling discovery as I will reveal below:

    After wasting several days of uninstalling and res-installing I finally found the cause of the problem. And it was not at all what I expected...

    The cause of this problem is that I recently installed a Vodafone 3G UMTS/GPRS PCMCIA card. The driver software for this card is causing ASP.NET application to stop working on my computer. I could verify this by also installing the Vodaphone card software on another computer that is also configured for ASP.NET development. I tested that the ASP.NET applications were working just before installing the card and tested it right after. I'm very sure now that this what was causing my ASP.NET applications to stop working.

    And now for the next shock... Uninstalling the Vodafone card software does not fix the problem again. I am really frustrated as the second computer that I tested on has got a very big HDD full of data and I'd hate to re-install that machine from scratch.

    So, to summarise... this is probably not a fault of the Microsoft's software, but rather of the Vodafone card software. I would like to bring this to the attention of Vodafone, but it would be really nice if someone else who also owns a Vodafone card can confirm that they also experience the same phenomena. I really like the Vodafone card solution... it is an ideal alternative to IDSL connection, but I HAVE to also be able to develop ASP.NET application on my computer. Right now it seems I have to choose one or the other.

    And hopefully this posting will save someone else some time.

    Werner

    Werner T via DotNetMonster.com, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Hi Werner,

    I have a similar situation. The only difference is that I am running Windows XP Pro on my laptop. I installed the 3G data card 5 days ago and lost a lot of time before I found the reason for the problem.

    I had to restore my system to a point just before the 3G card installation and .NET was OK again.

    Did you find anything to resolve this problem?

    Sarel

    Sarel Bekker via DotNetMonster.com, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Hi Sarel

    I appreciate that you also reported the same problem. I contacted Vodafone about the problem and even though they seemed quite interested to know more, I did not manage to find a solution yet.

    But I have a work-around. I installed VMware and run a second instance of the OS just for doing my ASP.NET development. It is not a perfect solution because everything is a bit slower under VMware, but at least I can continue developing my ASP.NET applications and I can still use my 3G card as well.

    It works ok for now, but I still hope we can find a solution for the real problem.

    WernerT via DotNetMonster.com, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Werner T via DotNetMonster.com

    Guest Guest

    I've run into the same problem with the 3G card. It took out my IIS and I lost a day because of it. Pitty....

    User submitted from AEWNET (http://www.aewnet.com/)

    Guest, Jan 14, 2005
  7. I am very interested to know if you managed to fix your
    IIS without having to re-install the whole operating systems like myself and another poster had to do? If you managed to fix it, how did you do it?

    Werner T via DotNetMonster.com, Jan 18, 2005