asp.net assemblies over UNC network shares

Guest

I've recently setup a webfarm using win2k3 and a network disc array to store
all the files served up by the webfarm. All web sites being hosted are
configured to work over UNC.

My problem is IIS doesn't load the .Net assembly from the UNC share (in the
bin directory) and the page fails. Here is the error message:

Parser Error Message: Could not load type aspnettest.Global'.
Source Error: Line 1:
<% @ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="aspnettest.Global" %>

The web site runs as a low privilage domain user and has no problems
accessing the older content. I added <imperonate="true".../> to the
web.config file and made sure the machine.config file had
allowOveride="true". I also setup file system auditing on the cluster server,
which manages the diskarray, to see if the IUSR accont could connect and
access the domdotcom.dll assembly in the bin directory, which the IUSR was
properly accessing the assembly because i setup impersonation. I've adjusted
the trust level for the assembly to the 2nd from lowest trust setting. I've
also used ildasm to open up the assembly and find ensure the Global class was
there. I can reproduce the behavior with another asp.net site that uses the
code behind model.

I've tried adding the assembly to the global assembly cache but it didn't
have a public key token. I can get the site to work if I move it to a local
disc. One of my test sites was c# the other was VB. Please advise

thanks
adam

bruce barker

the asp machine account will need to be a domain account in order to have
access to the share so it can compile the code. also you may need to
configure .net to trust the remote machine for any dlls its loads, if they
get runtime permission errors.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| I've recently setup a webfarm using win2k3 and a network disc array to
store
| all the files served up by the webfarm. All web sites being hosted are
| configured to work over UNC.
|
| My problem is IIS doesn't load the .Net assembly from the UNC share (in
the
| bin directory) and the page fails. Here is the error message:
|
| Parser Error Message: Could not load type aspnettest.Global'.
| Source Error: Line 1:
| <% @ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="aspnettest.Global"
%>

| The web site runs as a low privilage domain user and has no problems
| accessing the older content. I added <imperonate="true".../> to the
| web.config file and made sure the machine.config file had
| allowOveride="true". I also setup file system auditing on the cluster
server,
| which manages the diskarray, to see if the IUSR accont could connect and
| access the domdotcom.dll assembly in the bin directory, which the IUSR was
| properly accessing the assembly because i setup impersonation. I've
adjusted
| the trust level for the assembly to the 2nd from lowest trust setting.
I've
| also used ildasm to open up the assembly and find ensure the Global class
was
| there. I can reproduce the behavior with another asp.net site that uses
the
| code behind model.
|
| I've tried adding the assembly to the global assembly cache but it didn't
| have a public key token. I can get the site to work if I move it to a
local
| disc. One of my test sites was c# the other was VB. Please advise
|

| thanks
| adam

jongalloway

Fileshares with domain account access are a pain to set up.

A few gotchas are listed here:

Your domain user needs to be added to the IIS_WPG group. Getting the
IIS_WPG settings is key - I read the above article and didn't
understand how important it was until I got my fileshare setup working.

Also, your code needs to be signed and all machines will need to trust
the assembly. I'd test at highest trust to see if permission is the
issue, then bring down as possible. I assume you've signed the code
since you mention assigning trust, but I'm mentioning it just in case.
- Jon
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway