ASP.NET Automatic vs. Manual ado.net objects

Michael

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this. I'm programming with
asp.net within the VS.NET IDE. I've found two different ways to handle data
access, I can program my own ado.net components, or drag and drop from the
toolbox connections, adapters, datasets, etc. to the design view of the web
form.

I like the drag and drop features, but would like to know more about it, I
kind of just stumbled on it, and never really found a good document
explaining it.

Does anyone out there have experience with this, and could offer any
insight. Any showstoppers someone has run into from using the automatic
stuff versus do-it-yourself. In the long term what will be the best option?

Thanks for any help!
--Michael

Craig Deelsnyder

Michael said:
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this. I'm programming with
asp.net within the VS.NET IDE. I've found two different ways to handle data
access, I can program my own ado.net components, or drag and drop from the

Does anyone out there have experience with this, and could offer any
insight. Any showstoppers someone has run into from using the automatic
stuff versus do-it-yourself. In the long term what will be the best option?

Thanks for any help!
--Michael

I find the 'wizard' tools (drag and drop) nice for while you're learning
ADO.NET and how the objects work. But I find the code that is
automatically inserted is not necessarily optimized for performance.
Everything you drag is automatically created in code (constructed) when
the page initializes, even though sometimes you may not use one
component or another for certain postbacks (see the generated
code-behind code). I find instantiating objects yourself is the better
way to do it, it gives you more control over the scope of the objects
and you learn more about how they actually work and what they can do.

Just my opinion....