    open, that refreshes itself and sets the bid status to closed???

    Cheers

    CoX

    CoX, Dec 30, 2003

  2. CoX

    Hermit Dave Guest

    well auction sites have their own engines... and they are responsible for
    marking the auctions as closed.
    having a permanent page open which keeps refreshing isnt the most ideal
    solution....

    write a seperate app which will monitor the currently live auctions and
    their closures... and use that app (not a web app) to mark them as closed

    hth

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Hermit Dave, Dec 30, 2003

  3. CoX

    Nick Guest

    There are two ways to do this that are relativly easy. One is to create a
    Windows Service that monitors the auctions and ends them on a specific time.
    Another method is to use Triggers or timed events on the SQL side to end an
    auction either way will help you out.

    Away to simulate this is to add a end date to the database and if somebody
    tries to access the auction after that date just throw and error or display
    that the auction has been ended. But this isn't good if you need to send a
    response to somebody on the end date of the auction.

    Nick, Dec 30, 2003
  4. CoX

    Nick Guest

    One more suggestion. You can always use the Cache method where when the
    cache times out a set event gets used. This happens in the back ground and
    nobody has to access the page so this may work for you. Such as cache a
    string with the id in it and when the cache times out, which you will set as
    the auction end date the event gets launched and in the event you do what
    ever you need to do. This is memory costly but for a school project it will
    accomplish the goal with minimal programming.

    Nick, Dec 30, 2003