several to choose from.

I haven't used ASP.net 2.0 yet, but from doing a bit of reading, it appears
that ASP.net 2.0 also has some client side call-backs built in that can
update the display via AJAX.

To ask a more specific question, do I need a specific AJAX framework to do
the following:

1) Drag-n-drop interface
2) Dynamic control diplay updates without a page load.

#1 seems more of a javascript library task (like script.aculo.us and
Prototype) so probably not a need for any .net AJAX framework.

But what about #2? Is that something I should have a framwork for, or is
that already built into .net 2.0?

Tangental question...are any of the .net AJAX framworks using the Prototype
javascript framwork?

-Darrel

Mark

My latest project is in 2.0 and, although there are a lot of nifty new
controls, I haven't seen anything that uses AJAX. Wish it did. Those
constant postbacks are really annoying.

Mark

Flinky Wisty Pomm

The GridView, FormView et al have support for out-of-band refreshes for
sorting, paging and so forth. If you want anything much more
complicated than that you have to write the code by hand. The Ajax
callbacks in .Net 2.0 are certainly functional, but other frameworks
have their own merits and drawbacks.

You can use the callbacks baked into the framework for #2, but you
might find that you get on better with a third party framework, or
Atlas, which I haven't played with yet.

Most of the techno-trickery I get up to these days is based on
scriptaculous and AjaxPro - the successor to Michael Schwarz's
Ajax.Net, I'm not aware of a .Net framework based on Prototype, but I'm
notoriously unreliable.

Flinky Wisty Pomm

That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
from subsequent callbacks?

My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.

Michel de Becdelièvre

Flinky Wisty Pomm said:
That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
from subsequent callbacks?

My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.

Not yet tried with drop downs, but works fairly well with buttons and other
fields.

According to documentation it works with drop downs.

Guest

You should check out the Atlas Framework from Microsoft (see
http://atlas.asp.net)

Its at the CTP stage so its not a fully mature framework yet but its works
great. Its very easy to implement. Forget about MagixAjax.net, that is going
no where and you wont get any support from them, in fact I read that this
project is going to be discontinued now that Atlas is maturing quickly.

darrel

Thanks everyone. Looks like my biggest problem is 'too many choices' ;o)

-Darrel