    the following:

    1) Drag-n-drop interface
    2) Dynamic control diplay updates without a page load.

    #1 seems more of a javascript library task (like script.aculo.us and
    Prototype) so probably not a need for any .net AJAX framework.

    But what about #2? Is that something I should have a framwork for, or is
    that already built into .net 2.0?

    Tangental question...are any of the .net AJAX framworks using the Prototype
    javascript framwork?

    -Darrel
    darrel, Apr 3, 2006

  2. darrel

    Mark Guest

    My latest project is in 2.0 and, although there are a lot of nifty new
    controls, I haven't seen anything that uses AJAX. Wish it did. Those
    constant postbacks are really annoying.

    Mark
    Mark, Apr 4, 2006

  3. The GridView, FormView et al have support for out-of-band refreshes for
    sorting, paging and so forth. If you want anything much more
    complicated than that you have to write the code by hand. The Ajax
    callbacks in .Net 2.0 are certainly functional, but other frameworks
    have their own merits and drawbacks.

    You can use the callbacks baked into the framework for #2, but you
    might find that you get on better with a third party framework, or
    Atlas, which I haven't played with yet.

    Most of the techno-trickery I get up to these days is based on
    scriptaculous and AjaxPro - the successor to Michael Schwarz's
    Ajax.Net, I'm not aware of a .Net framework based on Prototype, but I'm
    notoriously unreliable.
    Flinky Wisty Pomm, Apr 4, 2006

    LGPL : http://www.magicajax.net/ does the trick for me.
    Michel de Becdelièvre, Apr 4, 2006
  5. You don't need any additional frameworks to do those things, although a good
    framework might be able to make it a little easier.

    Here's the details on the built-in AJAX functionality in ASP.NET 2.0:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/Ajax.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 4, 2006
  6. That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
    hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
    from subsequent callbacks?

    My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
    asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.
    Flinky Wisty Pomm, Apr 4, 2006
  7. "Flinky Wisty Pomm" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
    > hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
    > from subsequent callbacks?
    >
    > My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
    > asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.

    Not yet tried with drop downs, but works fairly well with buttons and other
    fields.

    According to documentation it works with drop downs.
    Michel de Becdelièvre, Apr 4, 2006
  8. You should check out the Atlas Framework from Microsoft (see
    http://atlas.asp.net)

    Its at the CTP stage so its not a fully mature framework yet but its works
    great. Its very easy to implement. Forget about MagixAjax.net, that is going
    no where and you wont get any support from them, in fact I read that this
    project is going to be discontinued now that Atlas is maturing quickly.

    =?Utf-8?B?Tkg=?=, Apr 4, 2006
  9. darrel

    darrel Guest

    Thanks everyone. Looks like my biggest problem is 'too many choices' ;o)

    -Darrel
    darrel, Apr 4, 2006
  10. I've written a very simple article of using Ajax in ASP.Net take a look at
    http://www.ajaxtoday.com/ArticleDetail/tabid/62/ArticleID/45/Default.aspx

    - Rafiq.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWpheHRvZGF5?=, May 6, 2006