    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 6, 2010

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I have a Solution that contains a Web Application and a Class Library.
    > The Class Library contains an HTTP Handler, which implements
    > IHttpHandler and needs registered in the config file. I want the *.dll
    > for the Class Library to be available and work independently of the Web
    > Application. The handler works when I register the handler in the
    > <httpHandlers> section of the Web.config file in the Web Application,
    > but how can I register it using the Class Library? Thanks.

    A class library uses an app.config.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 6, 2010

  3. I did notice the app.config file in the Class Library, but when I moved the
    registration from the Web Application's Web.config to the Class Library's
    app.config, it didn't seem to do anything. Is there anything that needs to
    be different in any way when the registration is in app.config? Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 7, 2010
  4. Nathan Sokalski

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I did notice the app.config file in the Class Library, but when I moved
    > the registration from the Web Application's Web.config to the Class
    > Library's app.config, it didn't seem to do anything. Is there anything
    > that needs to be different in any way when the registration is in
    > app.config? Thanks.

    The Web.config is the root of all configs and the app.config is going to
    be ignored by the Web application.

    You should make a Console project and add the classlib project to the
    solution and try the app.config there.
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 7, 2010
  5. A DLL in Net is a Class Library not something that is independent working.

    If you want the later you can use a service (or a webservice of WFC).

    Success

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert[MVP], Mar 7, 2010
  6. Actually i created something for that ,, let me switch to my dev computer
    ( be back in a moment )

    Michel

    Michel Posseth [MCP], Mar 7, 2010
  7. Op 7-3-2010 10:08, Michel Posseth [MCP] schreef:
    > Actually i created something for that ,, let me switch to my dev
    > computer ( be back in a moment )
    >
    > Michel
    >

    > "Mr. Arnold" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    >>> I did notice the app.config file in the Class Library, but when I
    >>> moved the registration from the Web Application's Web.config to the
    >>> Class Library's app.config, it didn't seem to do anything. Is there
    >>> anything that needs to be different in any way when the registration
    >>> is in app.config? Thanks.

    >> The Web.config is the root of all configs and the app.config is going
    >> to be ignored by the Web application.
    >>
    >> You should make a Console project and add the classlib project to the
    >> solution and try the app.config there.

    and here it is :

    Imports System.Configuration
    Imports System.Web.Configuration
    Namespace My
    Partial Friend NotInheritable Class MySettings
    Private DllSettings As ClientSettingsSection
    Private DllConfigDoesNotExist As Boolean
    Default Public Overrides Property Item(ByVal propertyName As
    String) As Object
    Get
    Dim oValue As Object = Nothing
    Try
    If RunsOnWeb() Then
    ' do we have the value in the web config
    Dim ret As String = Nothing
    Try
    ret =
    WebConfigurationManager.AppSettings(propertyName)
    Catch ex As Exception

    End Try
    If String.IsNullOrEmpty(ret) Then
    Try
    oValue =
    WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings(propertyName).ConnectionString
    Catch ex As Exception

    End Try
    End If
    Else
    'If the .dll.config file has already been
    loaded, use it to obtain the value...
    If DllSettings IsNot Nothing Then
    oValue =
    DllSettings.Settings.Get(propertyName).Value.ValueXml.InnerXml
    ElseIf Not DllConfigDoesNotExist Then
    If Me.LoadDllConfigFile() Then
    oValue =
    DllSettings.Settings.Get(propertyName).Value.ValueXml.InnerXml
    End If
    End If
    End If
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try
    Try
    If oValue Is Nothing Then
    oValue = MyBase.Item(propertyName)
    End If
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try
    Return oValue
    End Get
    Set(ByVal value As Object)
    MyBase.Item(propertyName) = value
    End Set
    End Property
    Public Function RunsOnWeb() As Boolean
    Dim strPN As String =
    System.Diagnostics.Process.GetCurrentProcess().ProcessName.ToLower
    Return (strPN = "w3wp" OrElse strPN = "aspnet_wp")
    End Function
    Private Function LoadDllConfigFile() As Boolean
    Dim bDllConfigLoaded As Boolean = False
    Dim cfgDll As System.Configuration.Configuration
    Dim cfmDllCfg As New ExeConfigurationFileMap()

    Dim sAssemblyPath As String =
    Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location

    Dim strNamespace As String = GetType(MySettings).FullName
    strNamespace = strNamespace.Substring(0,
    strNamespace.IndexOf("."c))

    cfmDllCfg.ExeConfigFilename = sAssemblyPath & ".config"
    Try

    cfgDll =
    ConfigurationManager.OpenMappedExeConfiguration(cfmDllCfg,
    ConfigurationUserLevel.None)

    Dim csgApplicationSettings As ConfigurationSectionGroup
    = cfgDll.GetSectionGroup("applicationSettings")
    Me.DllSettings =
    DirectCast(csgApplicationSettings.Sections(strNamespace &
    ".My.MySettings"), ClientSettingsSection)
    bDllConfigLoaded = True

    Catch ex As Exception

    'bestaat niet
    DllConfigDoesNotExist = True

    End Try
    Return bDllConfigLoaded

    End Function

    End Class

    End Namespace
    Michel Posseth, Mar 7, 2010
  8. I probably made a bad choice of words there. What I meant was I want people
    to be able to add the *.dll to their web application and use the handler
    without needing to register it in their Web.config. The reason I created the
    handler is because it is used by one of the controls in my class library (it
    generates a *.gif image), so I need the handler to be available to the
    control at a known location (unless there is some alternative way for me to
    have the *.gif's generated and returned from a URL). Any ideas?

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 7, 2010
  9. Nathan Sokalski

    Ralph Guest

    > I probably made a bad choice of words there. What I meant was I want
    > people to be able to add the *.dll to their web application and use the
    > handler without needing to register it in their Web.config. The reason I
    > created the handler is because it is used by one of the controls in my
    > class library (it generates a *.gif image), so I need the handler to be
    > available to the control at a known location (unless there is some
    > alternative way for me to have the *.gif's generated and returned from a
    > URL). Any ideas?
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    >
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >
    > "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> A DLL in Net is a Class Library not something that is independent
    >> working.
    >>
    >> If you want the later you can use a service (or a webservice of WFC).
    >>
    >> Success
    >>
    >> Cor
    >>

    >> "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a Solution that contains a Web Application and a Class Library.
    >>> The Class Library contains an HTTP Handler, which implements
    >>> IHttpHandler and needs registered in the config file. I want the *.dll
    >>> for the Class Library to be available and work independently of the Web
    >>> Application. The handler works when I register the handler in the
    >>> <httpHandlers> section of the Web.config file in the Web Application,
    >>> but how can I register it using the Class Library? Thanks.
    >>> --
    >>> Nathan Sokalski
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Name your file .ashx and it should work without registering.
    Ralph, Mar 8, 2010
  10. Nathan Sokalski

    Ralph Guest

    "Ralph" <> wrote in message
    > "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message
    >> I probably made a bad choice of words there. What I meant was I want
    >> people to be able to add the *.dll to their web application and use the
    >> handler without needing to register it in their Web.config. The reason I
    >> created the handler is because it is used by one of the controls in my
    >> class library (it generates a *.gif image), so I need the handler to be
    >> available to the control at a known location (unless there is some
    >> alternative way for me to have the *.gif's generated and returned from a
    >> URL). Any ideas?
    >> --
    >> Nathan Sokalski
    >>
    >> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    >>
    >> "Cor Ligthert[MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >>> A DLL in Net is a Class Library not something that is independent
    >>> working.
    >>>
    >>> If you want the later you can use a service (or a webservice of WFC).
    >>>
    >>> Success
    >>>
    >>> Cor
    >>>

    >>> "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message

    > Name your file .ashx and it should work without registering.

    opps I met without having to add to web.config.
    Ralph, Mar 8, 2010
  11. I think that you are talking about a Generic Handler. I cannot use a Generic
    Handler or *.ashx file because I want everything to end up being part of my
    *.dll once I compile my Class Library.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 8, 2010
  12. Nathan Sokalski

    Ralph Guest

    > I think that you are talking about a Generic Handler. I cannot use a
    > Generic Handler or *.ashx file because I want everything to end up being
    > part of my *.dll once I compile my Class Library.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    >
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Yes I referring to a Generic Handler.
    You can still put your class that implements IHttpHandler in your dll.
    I believe you would just need something similar to the following in an .ashx
    file

    <%@ WebHandler Language="C#" Class="YourHandler" %>

    So yes you would need one item outside of the .dll
    If the users of your handler have access to the bin files of their webs I
    would assume they have access to the other folders also.

    Ralph, Mar 8, 2010
  13. I understand that, and I would assume they do also. However, the philosophy
    I am going by here is convenience; I want to only need to give the user one
    file. Also, because I don't know what folders the user will have in their
    Web Application or which one they will put it in, I don't know where to tell
    the control that uses the handler to look for the *.ashx file.

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 8, 2010
  14. Nathan Sokalski

    Cubaman Guest

    On Mar 7, 11:11 am, Michel Posseth <> wrote:
> [...]

    >          Private Function LoadDllConfigFile() As Boolean
    >              Dim bDllConfigLoaded As Boolean = False
    >              Dim cfgDll As System.Configuration.Configuration
    >              Dim cfmDllCfg As New ExeConfigurationFileMap()
    >
    >              Dim sAssemblyPath As String =
    > Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location
    >
    >              Dim strNamespace As String = GetType(MySettings).FullName
    >              strNamespace = strNamespace.Substring(0,
    > strNamespace.IndexOf("."c))
    >
    >              cfmDllCfg.ExeConfigFilename = sAssemblyPath & ".config"
    >              Try
    >
    >                  cfgDll =
    > ConfigurationManager.OpenMappedExeConfiguration(cfmDllCfg,
    > ConfigurationUserLevel.None)
    >
    >                  Dim csgApplicationSettings As ConfigurationSectionGroup
    > = cfgDll.GetSectionGroup("applicationSettings")
    >                  Me.DllSettings =
    > DirectCast(csgApplicationSettings.Sections(strNamespace &
    > ".My.MySettings"), ClientSettingsSection)

    Hello:
    Good code, just a point. To get if your dll is currently loaded in a
    web app is better tu use:
    HttpContext.Current != null
    Best regards,
    Oscar Acosta