ASP.NET + Client Access Licence

Guest

If i am using a form type authintication, do I need a licence for each logged
in user?
The application maintain their own user list and they are not Windows
accounts.

If I am using SQL Server from my web application, and SQL server uses 1
windows account, how many CAL do I need for my web application to run on the
internet?

Andy Fish

ms licencing is a very long and complicated business, but as I understand it
there are basically 2 licencing models:

1. CAL licencing - this requires you to have a licence for each user that
uses the application (IIRC it talks about a 'device' but basically it's one
licence per user)

2. server based licencing - you buy a licence for the server and it can be
used by as many people as you want

the licencing restrictrions apply regardless of how (of if) users
authenticate to the application, and the model is basically the same for SQL
server as it is for windows itself.

so basically if your app is on the internet, you will need to use the server
licencing model.

note 1: obviously many of these restrictions cannot be enforced in
software - if you use your own authentication, MS has no way of knowing how
many users are using it so you could cheat them (this would be illegal)

note 2: there is a cheap version of windows server especially for running
web sites but you are explicitly forbidden from running SQL server on it (or
connecting to another SQL server from it)

Andy

bruce barker

you need a license per user in the CAL model. using one process or account
is called mulitplexing and doesn't reduce the CAL obligations. with an
internet site, you cannot use the CAL model you must use the Processor
license model.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

As of my understanding of the CAL licencing, it targets a Windows user
account. So, if a user is logged in from web and I am just using a Form type
authintication (my authintation) the server will use only 1 user account
which is IWAM_XX then this will use ASPNET account internally.

I don't see why I would be cheating in this way?

Thanks for the reply.

Guest

What if I am running my website on Windows Small Business Server for 2003
that comes with SQL Server standard edition and 5 CALs. Do I still need this
Processer Licence Model to put my Web application on it?

Thanks for the reply..

Andy Fish

as bruce says (other reply), the legal terms of the licence are about a
person using the application, not a windows user account.

AFAIK you could have a big screen with 50 people watching it and all
shouting their instructions at one person who's holding the keyboard, and
you'd still need 50 CALs for it :))

bruce barker

the best answer is check with MS. but generally yes. I believe CALs can not
be used for any sqlserver internet applications. MS used to sell a
sqlserver internet license (15K), but it was replaced by the processor
license.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)