ASP.NET Client Certificate Authentication Problem

EagleRed

I am implementing an ASP.NET Web application that requires client certificates. I have a standalone certificate server (Windows 2000, SP4). I used it to generate a server certificate and a client certificate. The client certificate is installed in the Trusted Publishers-Enterprise store. I could not install it in the Personal store

I build a web application using VS.NET 2003 and set the virtual directory to require SSL and client certs

In IE 6.1 request, "https://localhost/[Virtual Dir.]/[page].aspx". I get the following result

The page requires a client certificate
The page you are trying to view requires the use of a client certificate.

Please try the following

Click the Refresh button to try again, if you have installed your client certificate.
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the localhost home page.
HTTP 403.7 - Forbidden: Client certificate require
Internet Information Service

Technical Information (for support personnel

Background
This error occurs when the resource you are attempting to access requires your browser to have a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) client certificate that the server recognizes

How can I get this to work? Ultimately, client certificates will be generated from a customer certificate server and distributed to a limited community of users of the application who will authenticate via certificates

I would appreciate guidance on this.

EagleRed

One additional piece of information, I have never been prompted to select a client certificate by the browser.

Craig Humphrey

If you have no certificates installed on the client machine, or there are no
certificates issued by CA's that the server trusts, then you wont be
prompted.

Make sure you have a client certificate installed in IE for the user who is
accessing the site, and preferably have it issued by the same CA that issued
the server's cert. (This last step isn't necessary, but just makes life
easier during testing)

Hope that helps.

Later'ish
Craig

One additional piece of information, I have never been prompted to select
a client certificate by the browser.

EagleRed

I have certs install but none in the Personal store. I installed the client cert and took the "automatic" option which placed the cert into the Trusted Publishers store. I could not force it to the personal store. Does it have to be in the personal store? If so, how do I get it there

Thanks
Eagle.