ASP. NET Code based Authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by RTJudson, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. RTJudson

    RTJudson Guest

    Hi All,

    Forgive a newbie question.

    Windows 2003
    IIS6
    ASP .NET v1.1.4322

    I need to pass username and password to a ASP .NET Webservices application.
    I have <authentication mode="Windows" /> set in the web.config with no
    impersonation entry. The WSDL file specifies a Login method that takes a
    username and password and returns and int if login is sucessful. IIS6 is set
    to run over SSL with integrated windows authentication and anonymous turned
    off.

    In perl, ::cough:: the call to the server would look something like this:

    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:SOAP-ENC
    ="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
    xmlns:xsd="http://www
    ..w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
    SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"><SOAP-ENV:Body><Login xmlns="http:
    //www.ca.com/UnicenterServicePlus/ServiceDesk"><username
    xsi:type="xsd:string">FOOBAR</username><password xsi:type="xs
    d:string">MYPASSWORD</password></Login></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
    SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP::Response=HASH(0x18fedfc)
    SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Client::send_receive: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
    Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:03:32 GMT
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
    WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
    Client-Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:03:33 GMT
    Client-Peer: 55.125.145.69:443
    Client-Response-Num: 1

    Not being a C# or ASP .NET expert I am having trouble authenticating to the
    werbservice. Does anyone have a code snippet they'd be willing to share that
    does code based authentication using a .Net console app? Not forms based. All
    the examples I see in books and online refer to forms based. But this app
    will never be called by a person or through a web page, only at the command
    line by another app.

    Thanks in advance!
    --Richard

    RTJudson, Nov 8, 2005