ASP.NET compiled?

Ed

I want to pay a monthly fee to a hosting company to host my ASP application.
I have some propriety designs in my ASP application which I'm reluctant to
expose the source code. Unfortunately, with ASP, it's all source code.

Is there a way to "compile" my ASP application so that when I upload the
application to the hosting company, my propriety work will remain
unrevealed?

Second question, if I update my ASP applcation to ASP.NET, would there be a
way to compile the ASP.NET code so that I will only need to publish the
"compiled" version to the hosting company server (thereby protecting my
source code from being revealed)?

Thanks.

Kevin Spencer

ASP cannot be compiled. ASP.Net can be. And yes, you can compile an ASP.Net
app (not the Page templates, but the CodeBehind), so that it is "concealed"
in a DLL.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Marina

For ASP, you should ask that in an ASP group. But from what I know, the
answer is no.

ASP.NET introduces the codebehind model, where all server side code is
placed in a separate file and compiled into a DLL.

bruce barker

with asp.net version one, you have to upload the aspx page source, but in
general you can build all you code in a dll that called by the page. in
asp.net version 2 (currently in beta), you can compile the whole site.

note: in either case you can use a IL decompiler to recreate the source or
reflection to learn a lot about the source.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Bryant Hankins

You could put your proprietary classic ASP designs into a COM component
which does get compiled to native code. Then you could just call the COM
object from classic ASP.

As for ASP.NET, if you put you logic into a .NET code behind file or a
separate .NET assembly it would get compiled to MSIL, but it can be
reverse-engineered. If you go this route you would want to put an
additional layer of obfuscation on top by using a tool like this:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/dotfuscator/

WL

Ed,

The only way to protect your ASP code is to have the code in a COM object
(the ASP page should then use the CreateObject method). Well in fact, you
then have no real ASP code of course, but just a call to compiled code.

In ASP.NET you can used code-behind (code is compiled in an assembly = kind
of DLL) but can be relatively easy decompiled with the IL disassembler
(distributed with the DotNet framework !)

Wim