ASP.NET Configuration Error under Windows Server 2003 R2

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by deathtospam@gmail.com, Oct 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My employer is starting to take the first steps towards migrating its
    Classic ASP codebase to ASP.NET v2.0. We have a copy of our existing
    website on the new Windows Server 2003 R2 test server, and everything
    is running fine. However, when I create a simple "HelloWorld.aspx"
    file, then browse to the page from VS.NET 2005 on the same machine, I
    get the following error message:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Runtime Error
    custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    "mode" attribute set to "Off".

    I've searched high and low on Google Groups, and all I can find are
    posts that allude to some kind of permissions problem. However, I have
    no idea where -- or how -- to start searching for these potential
    permissions problems... or if that's even the problem. Any help that
    folks could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated... thanks in
    advance!

    -= Tek Boy =-
    , Oct 31, 2006

  2. Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?

    The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210

    Make sure you have the Release version running.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 31, 2006

    Juan --

    Where should I be checking to see if I'm running the release version of
    ..NET v2.0? If I'm supposed to be looking in the "ASP.NET version"
    field inside IIS6's "ASP.NET" tab, it says "1.1.4322". However, the
    "File location" field is pointing to the web.config file in the
    "v2.0.50727" directory...

    -= Tek Boy =-

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?
    >
    > The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    > R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210
    >
    > Make sure you have the Release version running.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > > My employer is starting to take the first steps towards migrating its
    > > Classic ASP codebase to ASP.NET v2.0. We have a copy of our existing
    > > website on the new Windows Server 2003 R2 test server, and everything
    > > is running fine. However, when I create a simple "HelloWorld.aspx"
    > > file, then browse to the page from VS.NET 2005 on the same machine, I
    > > get the following error message:

    > > Server Error in '/' Application.
    > >
    > > Runtime Error
    > > custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    > > application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    > > could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    > > viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    > > a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    > > current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    > > "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    > >

    > > I've searched high and low on Google Groups, and all I can find are
    > > posts that allude to some kind of permissions problem. However, I have
    > > no idea where -- or how -- to start searching for these potential
    > > permissions problems... or if that's even the problem. Any help that
    > > folks could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated... thanks in
    > > advance!
    > >

    > > -= Tek Boy =-

    , Oct 31, 2006

    Juan --

    I believe so. At the bottom of the ASPX page (and below the error
    messages), I see the following text:

    "Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210"

    -= Tek Boy =-

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?
    >
    > The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    > R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210
    >
    > Make sure you have the Release version running.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > > My employer is starting to take the first steps towards migrating its
    > > Classic ASP codebase to ASP.NET v2.0. We have a copy of our existing
    > > website on the new Windows Server 2003 R2 test server, and everything
    > > is running fine. However, when I create a simple "HelloWorld.aspx"
    > > file, then browse to the page from VS.NET 2005 on the same machine, I
    > > get the following error message:

    > > Server Error in '/' Application.
    > >
    > > Runtime Error
    > > custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    > > application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    > > could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    > > viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    > > a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    > > current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    > > "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    > >

    > > I've searched high and low on Google Groups, and all I can find are
    > > posts that allude to some kind of permissions problem. However, I have
    > > no idea where -- or how -- to start searching for these potential
    > > permissions problems... or if that's even the problem. Any help that
    > > folks could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated... thanks in
    > > advance!
    > >

    > > -= Tek Boy =-

    , Oct 31, 2006
  5. Yes, I thought so.

    It's a common problem with R2, which I think shouldn't have
    been released with a beta version of tyhe .Net Framework.

    Only a few more builds and R2 could have gone out with the release version.

    You need to download, at least, the release version of the redistributable.

    If you've got enough bandwidth, go for the SDK. The developer samples are worth it.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 1, 2006

    Juan --

    We don't have enough daytime bandwidth, and that link you posted said
    the SDK comes with VS.NET 2005 (which is already installed on the
    server), so I downloaded the normal .NET v2.0 EXE instead.

    However, the problem still occurred after I installed (repaired) .NET
    v2.0 and rebooted. What's the specific sequence of events I need to
    follow to upgrade from the R2 beta version to the release version of
    ..NET v2.0? Also, how will I know if the upgrade was successful? Sorry
    to bother you with all the minutiae... I certainly do appreciate your
    help.

    -= Tek Boy =-

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > Yes, I thought so.
    >
    > It's a common problem with R2, which I think shouldn't have
    > been released with a beta version of tyhe .Net Framework.
    >
    > Only a few more builds and R2 could have gone out with the release version.
    >
    > You need to download, at least, the release version of the redistributable.
    >
    > If you've got enough bandwidth, go for the SDK. The developer samples are worth it.
    >
    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > Juan --
    >
    > I believe so. At the bottom of the ASPX page (and below the error
    > messages), I see the following text:

    > "Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    > ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210"
    >

    > -= Tek Boy =-
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?
    > >
    > > The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    > > R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210
    > >
    > > Make sure you have the Release version running.
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ===================================
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > My employer is starting to take the first steps towards migrating its
    > > > Classic ASP codebase to ASP.NET v2.0. We have a copy of our existing
    > > > website on the new Windows Server 2003 R2 test server, and everything
    > > > is running fine. However, when I create a simple "HelloWorld.aspx"
    > > > file, then browse to the page from VS.NET 2005 on the same machine, I
    > > > get the following error message:
    > > >
    > > > ================================================
    > > > Server Error in '/' Application.
    > > >
    > > > Runtime Error
    > > > custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    > > > application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    > > > could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    > > > machine.
    > > >
    > > > Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    > > > viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    > > > a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    > > > current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    > > > "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    > > > ================================================
    > > >

    > > > I've searched high and low on Google Groups, and all I can find are
    > > > posts that allude to some kind of permissions problem. However, I have
    > > > no idea where -- or how -- to start searching for these potential
    > > > permissions problems... or if that's even the problem. Any help that
    > > > folks could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated... thanks in
    > > > advance!
    > > >

    > > > -= Tek Boy =-

    , Nov 1, 2006
  7. re:
    > how will I know if the upgrade was successful?

    Run aspnet_regiis -lv from the .Net framework 2.0's directory
    ( Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 )

    That will list all the installed versions.

    If version 2.0.50727.210 is still registered, either run the uninstall tool found here :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx

    ....or uninstall manually and then reinstall the release version.
    The instructions for a manual uninstall are there, too.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 1, 2006

    Juan --

    All fixed! Before you wrote back, I uninstalled the .NET Framework
    2.0, rebooted, then reinstalled the final version of the .NET Framework
    2.0 (2.0.50727). After that, I ran the utility you suggested
    ("C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -lv")
    and discovered that all of my applications were still mapped to the
    v1.1.4322.2300 of the .NET Framework. Running the following script
    recursively set the default version to v2.0.50727:

    ===================================
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -lv
    ===================================

    I've been working with Classic ASP for eight years -- long enough to
    have read more than a few of your articles and books -- so I recognized
    your name right away when you replied. I certainly appreciate you
    taking the time to help me out... it's amazing how basic issues like
    this are still relatively difficult to find cohesive information on,
    in- or outside of repositories like MSDN or Usenet.

    I'm gonna add another reply to my top-level post, detailing everything
    just in case people happen across the article, and need a play-by-play.
    Thanks again!

    -= Tek Boy =-

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > how will I know if the upgrade was successful?

    > Run aspnet_regiis -lv from the .Net framework 2.0's directory
    > ( Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 )
    >
    > That will list all the installed versions.
    >
    > If version 2.0.50727.210 is still registered, either run the uninstall tool found here :
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx
    >
    > ...or uninstall manually and then reinstall the release version.
    > The instructions for a manual uninstall are there, too.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > Juan --
    >
    > We don't have enough daytime bandwidth, and that link you posted said
    > the SDK comes with VS.NET 2005 (which is already installed on the
    > server), so I downloaded the normal .NET v2.0 EXE instead.
    >
    > However, the problem still occurred after I installed (repaired) .NET
    > v2.0 and rebooted. What's the specific sequence of events I need to
    > follow to upgrade from the R2 beta version to the release version of
    > .NET v2.0? Also, how will I know if the upgrade was successful? Sorry
    > to bother you with all the minutiae... I certainly do appreciate your
    > help.
    >

    > -= Tek Boy =-
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > Yes, I thought so.
    > >
    > > It's a common problem with R2, which I think shouldn't have
    > > been released with a beta version of tyhe .Net Framework.
    > >
    > > Only a few more builds and R2 could have gone out with the release version.
    > >
    > > You need to download, at least, the release version of the redistributable.
    > >
    > > If you've got enough bandwidth, go for the SDK. The developer samples are worth it.
    > >
    > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ===================================
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > Juan --
    > >
    > > I believe so. At the bottom of the ASPX page (and below the error
    > > messages), I see the following text:

    > > "Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    > > ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210"
    > >

    > > -= Tek Boy =-
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > > Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?
    > > >
    > > > The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    > > > R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210
    > > >
    > > > Make sure you have the Release version running.
    > > >

    > > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > > ===================================

    , Nov 1, 2006
  9. re:
    > I've been working with Classic ASP for eight years -- long enough to
    > have read more than a few of your articles and books -- so I recognized
    > your name right away when you replied. I certainly appreciate you
    > taking the time to help me out

    My pleasure, Tek Boy, although if you've been working as a programmer
    for 8 years maybe you should consider changing your name to "Tek Man".

    :)

    re:
    > I'm gonna add another reply to my top-level post, detailing everything
    > just in case people happen across the article, and need a play-by-play.

    Wonderful!
    I wish everybody did that.

    Glad to have been of help.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 1, 2006

    Juan --

    All fixed! Before you wrote back, I uninstalled the .NET Framework
    2.0, rebooted, then reinstalled the final version of the .NET Framework
    2.0 (2.0.50727). After that, I ran the utility you suggested
    ("C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -lv")
    and discovered that all of my applications were still mapped to the
    v1.1.4322.2300 of the .NET Framework. Running the following script
    recursively set the default version to v2.0.50727:

    ===================================
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -s
    W3SVC\
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > how will I know if the upgrade was successful?

    > Run aspnet_regiis -lv from the .Net framework 2.0's directory
    > ( Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 )
    >
    > That will list all the installed versions.
    >
    > If version 2.0.50727.210 is still registered, either run the uninstall tool found here :
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/support/uninstall/default.aspx
    >
    > ...or uninstall manually and then reinstall the release version.
    > The instructions for a manual uninstall are there, too.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > ===================================
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > Juan --
    >
    > We don't have enough daytime bandwidth, and that link you posted said
    > the SDK comes with VS.NET 2005 (which is already installed on the
    > server), so I downloaded the normal .NET v2.0 EXE instead.
    >
    > However, the problem still occurred after I installed (repaired) .NET
    > v2.0 and rebooted. What's the specific sequence of events I need to
    > follow to upgrade from the R2 beta version to the release version of
    > .NET v2.0? Also, how will I know if the upgrade was successful? Sorry
    > to bother you with all the minutiae... I certainly do appreciate your
    > help.
    >

    > -= Tek Boy =-
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > Yes, I thought so.
    > >
    > > It's a common problem with R2, which I think shouldn't have
    > > been released with a beta version of tyhe .Net Framework.
    > >
    > > Only a few more builds and R2 could have gone out with the release version.
    > >
    > > You need to download, at least, the release version of the redistributable.
    > >
    > > If you've got enough bandwidth, go for the SDK. The developer samples are worth it.
    > >
    > > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ===================================
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > Juan --
    > >
    > > I believe so. At the bottom of the ASPX page (and below the error
    > > messages), I see the following text:

    > > "Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    > > ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210"
    > >

    > > -= Tek Boy =-
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > > Did you upgrade the .Net Framework version on R2 to the Release version ?
    > > >
    > > > The .Net Framework's Release version number is 2.0.50727.42
    > > > R2's version number is 2.0.50727.210
    > > >
    > > > Make sure you have the Release version running.
    > > >

    > > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > > > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > > ===================================

    , Nov 1, 2006

    To Whom It May Concern --

    I was able to resolve the problem with the help of Juan T. Llibre. I'm
    posting a summary of what the problem was, and how I solved it, in case
    anybody else happens across this post.

    Apparently Windows 2003 R2 shipped with a beta version of Microsoft
    ..NET Framework 2.0 ( 2.0.50727.210 ), which Juan identified as the
    source of my problems. I uninstalled both the .NET Framework 2.0 and
    (just for good measure) the .NET Compact Framework 2.0 via the "Start
    Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" wizard. After that, I
    rebooted my machine, then downloaded and installed the final versions
    of the .NET Framework 2.0 ( 2.0.50727 ) and .NET Compact Framework 2.0
    Service Pack 1 redistributables from
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx and
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...88-59E2-4EBA-A70E-4CD851C5FCC4&displaylang=en
    , respectively.

    After I finished replacing the beta version of the .NET Framework v2.0
    with the release version, I ran the following script to list which
    items in IIS6 mapped to which versions of the .NET Framework. Below it
    is the output:

    ===================================
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -lk

    W3SVC/ 1.1.4322.2300
    W3SVC/1870793688/root/ 1.1.4322.2300
    W3SVC/1990904101/root/Calendars/ 1.1.4322.2300
    W3SVC/1990904101/root/Tests/ 1.1.4322.2300
    W3SVC/401904627/root/ 1.1.4322.2300
    ===================================

    That showed me that all of my websites were mapped to the .NET
    Framework v1.1. To fix this problem, I ran the following script, then
    rechecked the mappings to make sure they were properly pointed to .NET
    v2.0:

    ===================================
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -s
    W3SVC/

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -lk

    W3SVC/ 2.0.50727.0
    W3SVC/1870793688/root/ 2.0.50727.0
    W3SVC/1990904101/root/Calendars/ 2.0.50727.0
    W3SVC/1990904101/root/Tests/ 2.0.50727.0
    W3SVC/401904627/root/ 2.0.50727.0
    ===================================

    And that's it! Suddenly my ASPX page started working, and all was
    right in the world. I hope this saves somebody else some headaches,
    going forward...

    -= Tek Boy =-

    wrote:
    > My employer is starting to take the first steps towards migrating its
    > Classic ASP codebase to ASP.NET v2.0. We have a copy of our existing
    > website on the new Windows Server 2003 R2 test server, and everything
    > is running fine. However, when I create a simple "HelloWorld.aspx"
    > file, then browse to the page from VS.NET 2005 on the same machine, I
    > get the following error message:

    > Server Error in '/' Application.
    >
    > Runtime Error
    > custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
    > application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It
    > could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server
    > machine.
    >
    > Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be
    > viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within
    > a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the
    > current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its
    > "mode" attribute set to "Off".
    >

    > I've searched high and low on Google Groups, and all I can find are
    > posts that allude to some kind of permissions problem. However, I have
    > no idea where -- or how -- to start searching for these potential
    > permissions problems... or if that's even the problem. Any help that
    > folks could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated... thanks in
    > advance!
    >

    > -= Tek Boy =-
    , Nov 1, 2006