ASP.net configuration problem - new user

James Warren

I just installed VB.net 2003, upgrading from VB6. I tried to open a new
ASP.net Web Application and immediately got an error stating that my Web
Server isn't running ASP.net version 1.1. I tried running aspnet_regiis /i
and all the dotnetfix "framework repair" suggestions the Help link sent me
to, but no luck. I suspect I am not the first guy with this problem. I am
running IIS on a Windows XP system. Can anybody direct me to a site with
better directions then what I have been able to find thus far, or can you
tell me what the solution is (if it is as common as I suspect)?

Thanks in advance, and my appologies if this is an old problem that you guys
are tired of hearing about.

Jim

Peter Morris [Droopy eyes software]

Hi

XP Home or XP Pro? Silly question, but is IIS installed? (Home doesn't have
IIS).

One Handed Man \( OHM - Terry Burns \)

Or, he does have professional edition, but did not install it before
installing VS2003. Normally VS2003 warns you of this when you install it,
does the OP remember such a warning.

After you have installed it, do use the regiis again

--

OHM ( Terry Burns )
. . . One-Handed-Man . . .

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Jim,

You might want to try using this tool to see what's up with your ASP.NET
versions:

http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

Also, here are some instructions that someone posted a while back to get
going:

1) Delete the ASPNET account using Computer Management.

2) Recreate the ASPNET account by running: aspnet_regiis -I, from
C:\<winDir>\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 directory :

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:

"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i

In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework
that you installed on your server.
You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you
type the command. If you use Visual Studio 2003 and framework 1.1 it it
v1.1.4322

3) Restart IIS.

4) Now the ASPX pages should work fine and you also should be able to create
new ASP.NET web projects.

James Warren

Good Morning all. Thanks for the responses. I am runing XP Pro, IIs is
installed and running smoothly, and hosts a very small company's website
that is not giving me any problems. That was the situation when I posted
this thread last night too.

Ken,
I downloaded and ran ASPVersionSwitcher. No change
I am not sure how to delete the ASP account using Computer management
I ran aspnet_regiis -r, then -i. That didn.t help.
I ran -ua then -i. That didn't help either.

This may show my ignorance, but is it possible that Visual Studio 2003 isn't
really looking at my server? If so, how to I find out? I hate to think I am
chasing a symptom rather than the cause.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hey Jim,

What about this possibility? Fred Chateau pointed out this article to me
recently.

Have you made changes to the web.config's defaultRedirect ?

PRB: "Not Running ASP.NET Version 1.1" Error Message When You Try to Open an
ASP.NET Web Application Project in Visual Studio .NET 2003

When you try to open an ASP.NET Web Application project, the ASP.NET process
accesses a nonexistent file that is named Get_aspx_ver.aspx to retrieve the
ASP.NET version information. If the defaultRedirect attribute is not set to
an HTML file or to an ASP file, the request for the Get_aspx_ver.aspx file
returns the HTTP 404 error and the ASP.NET version information. If the
defaultRedirect attribute is set to an HTML file or to an ASP file, the
request for the Get_aspx_ver.aspx file does not return the ASP.NET version
information. Therefore, you receive the error that is mentioned in the
"Symptoms" section of this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825792

Let us know?

Ken

James Warren

Ken, I built the aspx file according to the KB article and saved it in the
inetpub\wwwroot directory, which is the default for my server.
Unfortunately, no change. I still get the same message from Visual Studio

What I didn't find was a web.config file on the server anywhere. I checked
the development server on my laptop and there is one there, but it appears
to have been built by VB.net 2003 as part of a test web application, at
least based on the folder in which it resides.

Thanks agan for the help
Jim

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Jim,

At this point, I would phone Microsoft Support and get it settled in real
time.

They might have some tool that would diagnose what is going wrong. Don't
forget that your VS.NET software comes with free support incidents and this
sounds like a good time to use one.

Ken

One Handed Man \( OHM - Terry Burns \)

Does it ?, I was not aware of that I bought my professional under a bulk
licence deal last June, no one told me I had any incidents to use, how many
do u get ?

--

OHM ( Terry Burns )
. . . One-Handed-Man . . .

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing

James Warren

Well, the problem is resolved. After about an hour with Microsoft Tech
Support (and by the way they were great to work with), we determined that my
static IP address being selected in the default website properties instead
of "All Unassigned" was the problem. We switched it, and all works fine. I
have no idea what the reason is, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again for all the input!

Regards, Jim