ASP.Net Connection To MYSQL

Guest

Hello, I am writing an ASP.Net (Visual Basic) application with a MYSQL backend.
I connect fine with the DataProvider and also ODBC. I Retrieve records with
no problem. I INSERT Records with no problem. The problem is that is is SLOW.
For example, to retrieve 4 records from the database table, it takes several
seconds. In Addition, I am developing on a local machine. There are no trips
to a remote server at this point. I see posts out there that some folks have
a slowness issue and others say everything is great and fast. Can anyone
assist with this?
Would prefer to us SQLServer as the backend, but have to conform to the
installation at present.

Thanks, Frank

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You need to connect using the latest native mysql provider. mysql is
extremely fast so it is possible that your problem lies elsewhere. Have you
tried tracing the query statements in the db layer?

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Guest

Alvin, thanks for the response. I do have the latest provider loaded. What I
did find after reading some other threads is that if I disconnect my network
cable the queries fly. It seems to have something to do with DNS which is
posted a lot with relation to the speed issue. In short, since all tools and
databases are local to this machine, if not connected to the network,
everything works great.

Any additional feedback is appreciated. Thanks again, Frank

Frank said:
[...]

hmm, strange. i'd open a support call to the provider to see if they have a
fix/workaround for this situation. I have found them very responsive to bugs
of that nature in the past.

--