ASP.NET Content Replication Over Server Farm

Christopher D. Wiederspan

I've got an ASP.NET web application that runs on a server farm (it should
end up being about 10 servers). I'm trying to find a simple, easy way to
keep the ASP.NET content replicated across the 10 different machines.
Ideally, I'll only need to push updates to one machine, and the new files
will replicated across all 10 machines instantly (or at least pretty darn
quick). For what its worth, I also need to keep the machine.configs
synchronized across the farm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Janaka

How about using 1 central FileStorage server and then getting the other
servers to use this

Christopher D. Wiederspan

I thought about that - are there any speed or performance issues associated
with this approach? I figured that I could do a replicated DFS to ensure
availability of the file share. I just wasn't sure if this is a
"recommended" practice.

Chris

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Based on my research and experience, DFS is a good idea for this issue.
Please refer to the following Knowledge Base articles for this issue.

HOW TO: Set Up File and Folder Replication for IIS 5.0 Using the Most
Common Method in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;311398
"...
This article describes how to set up replication of your Internet data
between servers.
..."

HOW TO: Configure Microsoft DFS as the Filing System for IIS
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313080
"...
This article describes how to use Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Distributed
File System (DFS) as the filing system for Microsoft Internet Information
Services (IIS) 5.0.

You can use DFS to make files that are distributed across multiple servers
to appear to users as files that reside in one place on the network.
..."

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang