ASP.NET controls interact with each other in IE; blinking!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ling, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Ling

    Ling Guest

    Hi,

    I guessed this is a weird question but it really bothers me.

    I created a web page w/ asp.net, have a menu on the top and a listbox
    right below it. When I try to navigate the menu, the listbox blinks.

    Note that it only happens with IE. I don't have blinks in Firefox at
    all.

    Even weird is when I removed the height of listbox, the listbox stopped
    blinking but the menu started blinking.

    Does anyone know why?
    Thank you in advance.

    Below is the sample code that blinks:
    <asp:Menu ID="Menu1" runat="server">
    <Items>
    <asp:MenuItem Text="ABCD">
    <asp:MenuItem Text="ABCD"></asp:MenuItem>
    <asp:MenuItem Text="ABCD"></asp:MenuItem>
    </asp:MenuItem>
    </Items>
    </asp:Menu>
    <asp:ListBox ID="listReports" runat="server" Height="50px" >
    <asp:ListItem>ABCD</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>ABCD</asp:ListItem>
    <asp:ListItem>ABCD</asp:ListItem>
    </asp:ListBox>

    Ling, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Ling,
    Seen this myself. Menu has lots of fancy-schmancy javascript behind the
    scenes, can create very annoying effects in certain combinations with other
    controls.

    Might try embedding transparent IFRAME between menu and Listbox - Bertrand
    Leroy has nice post on his blog about this.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Ling

    Ling Guest

    Hi Peter,

    Thank you for your reply.
    If possible, can you explain more about why/how javascript causes the
    blinking?

    I suspect it's javascript too, because I also found the blinking
    problem where I have a dropdown sends a callback, and it causes the
    page to blink sometimes (not all the time). But just don't know why
    javascript can cause that.

    Thanks.

    Ling, Jun 7, 2006