ASP.NET Custom Controls - discussion

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Aaron, May 12, 2004.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    I've been using custom controls for a while now, but I keep running into
    issues that I have to find workarounds for or avoid altogether. I'm
    looking for some developer feedback, experiences, etc. to maybe provide
    some insight.

    First, I'd like to know if anyone actually uses the IPostBackDataHandler
    and IPostBackEventHandler interfaces. I continually see the same
    examples of these interfaces that create simple controls composed of
    only one web control. Are there any examples of more complex custom
    controls, or does anyone use these interfaces with complex controls?

    Second (and this could be tied to issue #1), is there a clean way of
    handling events like button clicks before the custom control is rendered
    again? Typically, I will create a button, catch its post back with the
    Request object at the beginning of CreateChildControls, call some update
    method, and raise a dataUpdated event.

    Third, I am interested the number and variety of built in controls
    (textbox, checkbox, table, button, etc.) that other developers use and
    the scenarios the controls are used in.

    Fourth, are there any good books that thoroughly discuss custom
    controls? I can't seem to find a good book to direct new developers to.

    Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

    ------
    Aaron

    Aaron, May 12, 2004

  2. > Fourth, are there any good books that thoroughly discuss custom
    > controls? I can't seem to find a good book to direct new developers to.

    Aaron, THE book to get is Developing Microsoft ASP.NET Server Controls
    and Components, by Kothari & Datye
    [http://4GuysFromRolla.com/ASPScripts/Goto.asp?ID=170]

    Read this book front to back and all of your questions will be answered
    (and then some!).

    --

    Scott Mitchell

    http://www.4GuysFromRolla.com