ASP.NET Custom Controls - discussion

Aaron

I've been using custom controls for a while now, but I keep running into
issues that I have to find workarounds for or avoid altogether. I'm
looking for some developer feedback, experiences, etc. to maybe provide
some insight.

First, I'd like to know if anyone actually uses the IPostBackDataHandler
and IPostBackEventHandler interfaces. I continually see the same
examples of these interfaces that create simple controls composed of
only one web control. Are there any examples of more complex custom
controls, or does anyone use these interfaces with complex controls?

Second (and this could be tied to issue #1), is there a clean way of
handling events like button clicks before the custom control is rendered
again? Typically, I will create a button, catch its post back with the
Request object at the beginning of CreateChildControls, call some update
method, and raise a dataUpdated event.

Third, I am interested the number and variety of built in controls
(textbox, checkbox, table, button, etc.) that other developers use and
the scenarios the controls are used in.

Fourth, are there any good books that thoroughly discuss custom
controls? I can't seem to find a good book to direct new developers to.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Fourth, are there any good books that thoroughly discuss custom
controls? I can't seem to find a good book to direct new developers to.

Aaron, THE book to get is Developing Microsoft ASP.NET Server Controls
and Components, by Kothari & Datye
[http://4GuysFromRolla.com/ASPScripts/Goto.asp?ID=170]

Read this book front to back and all of your questions will be answered
(and then some!).

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)