ASP.NET Data Source - Clients/Web Server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by trevor oakley, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. I have solved an earlier problem which I posted here, about coding Data
    Source in OleDbConnection - I am new to ASP.Net. I do not understand the
    solution, I just blindly followed the book (Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 21
    Days), and guessed, and it worked.

    When OleDbConnection is used to connect to a database, ASP.NET appears to
    expect a client source, not a Web server reference. I just coded
    c:\WWWRoot\.... and it worked.

    Does this mean that ASP.NET downloads a database, like HTML pages are
    downloaded, and then uses the actual client? I find such a concept to be
    unbelieveable, or does ASP.NET download only a database definition? In any
    case it is dangerous to download anything to the client regarding a database
    due to security.

    I expected the Web server to handle the data query and only generated HTML,
    including the data query or update message, to be downloaded to client, and
    the client to have no knowledge about the database. Therefore, I find it
    difficult to understand why a harddrive reference should be included
    anywhere in database connection code.

    Code: dbStr="c:wwwroot\...", objConnection = New
    OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _
    & " Data Source=" & dbStr & ";")

    I would be grateful for any clarification on this?

    Trevor
    trevor oakley, Jun 26, 2003

  2. trevor oakley

    Natty Gur Guest

    Trevor Hi,

    OleDBConnection class is part of the CLR classes and it can be used on
    the SERVER side to generate HTML that will be sending to the client. So
    the local path is the server local path. Neither the OLEDBConnection
    will happened on the client machine nor the DB will be download to the
    client.

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak