Asp.Net Development Strategy

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SteveT, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. SteveT

    SteveT Guest

    I work for a large company that has primarily used Oracle forms
    against Oracle applications. As typical of large companies with a
    smaller IT department, lots of developer cowboys have spawned over the
    years to develop different solutions for their departments, including
    Filemaker, MS Access, ColdFusion and old asp. Whenever the "cowboy"
    leaves, the app gets tossed over the fence to IT. Within the last
    couple of years, the Oracle factions have conceded some of their power
    because of tightening budgets and increasing Oracle licensing costs.
    They have allowed us to develop apps in asp.Net with MS SQL Server and
    legacy Oracle backends. Which leads to my question. We have a .Net
    developer group with varying degrees of .Net experience and
    knowledge. As one of the most knowlegable, I've been asked to be the
    technical lead for the group. I want to standardize our development
    to allow cross-developer maintenance of projects and common code
    formatting. I've been thinking of using one of the code generating
    products like CodeSmith, StrataFrame, TierDeveloper, IronSpeed or
    DevForce. It would seem to allow more consistent and rapid
    development. I know these aren't cheap to buy, but we have a bunch of
    apps to convert with lousy requirements defined and a crew of
    diversely knowledgeable developers. I am interested in hearing your
    opinions and experiences. Thanks.

    Steve T.

    SteveT, Jul 1, 2008

  2. I'm not a big fan of these kinds of cookie cutter solutions since
    applications are rarely as standard as these programs like to pretend.
    However, depending on your time and budget constraints they may be a
    necessary evil.

    Otherwise, I'd suggest you use this as an opportunity to give your
    developers some real experience developing some real ASP.NET applications
    from the ground up. In the long run your team will be better off for it.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jul 2, 2008