ASP.NET does not use latest DLL in bin folder

Richard

Help!!

I have been developing an ASP.NET web and loved the fact that deployment of code changes seemed simple in that all I did was replace the bin/myApp.dll and the changes were immediately available.

All of a sudden, today the dll changes do not appear to work. I even deleted the dll from the bin folder and the site still renders with the old dll code. Thus it appears the dll is in memory and does not reload itself as it seemed to do in the past.

I cannot reboot the server since there are other web sites running on it and the owners would not be happy their sites crash just so I can force my site to refresh the dll.

I spent the last hour searching for a solution to this problem and could not find any.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this perplexing issue.

Rich

Curt_C [MVP]

Richard said:
Help!!

I have been developing an ASP.NET web and loved the fact that deployment
of code changes seemed simple in that all I did was replace the
bin/myApp.dll and the changes were immediately available.

All of a sudden, today the dll changes do not appear to work. I even
deleted the dll from the bin folder and the site still renders with the
old dll code. Thus it appears the dll is in memory and does not reload
itself as it seemed to do in the past.

I cannot reboot the server since there are other web sites running on it
and the owners would not be happy their sites crash just so I can force
my site to refresh the dll.

I spent the last hour searching for a solution to this problem and could
not find any.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this perplexing issue.

Rich

restart that individual site, or if it's 2003 the app pool.

Richard

Thank you Curt for the fast reply !!

Yes it is 2003. I had already restarted the site (no change), but
restarting the App Pool solved the problem !!

The strange part is that I had been merrily just updating the dll for the
past 2 months and never had this problem. I used it as a brag point to my
client on how fast I could change the site by just copying the dll - now it
seems I'll have to be logged on to the Server and have the IIS management
console open too in case I have to restart the App Pool too.

Oh well, you have saved my sanity - for the time being at least ;>)

Thanks again!

Rich

Curt_C [MVP]

Richard said:
Thank you Curt for the fast reply !!

Yes it is 2003. I had already restarted the site (no change), but
restarting the App Pool solved the problem !!

The strange part is that I had been merrily just updating the dll for the
past 2 months and never had this problem. I used it as a brag point to my
client on how fast I could change the site by just copying the dll - now it
seems I'll have to be logged on to the Server and have the IIS management
console open too in case I have to restart the App Pool too.

If you touch the web.config you will force the site to restart. That's
an easy way, usually, to ensure it. Check the cache settings on the
server also, these can come into play.

Richard

Again thanks Curt, I like the "touch web.config" solution - easy one for a
programmer !

I usually stay out of IIS and server settings as much as possible since it's
too easy to mess up security especially in Server 2003 - so I leave that up
to the IT guy who by the way admits he couldn't write a line of code ;>)

Back to the fun part for me of coding as my heart beat has almost returned
to normal ...

Again you rock!

Patrick.O.Ige

IT guy u mean programmer?