ASP.NET Error Message

Jeremy Ames

I have recently uploaded my project to our production server. Everything ran
fine on my test box, but after trying to set permissions to the folder, I
receive the error message "Failed to start monitoring file changes." Can
someone please help?

--

Thanks,

Jeremy Ames
Code Powered Technologies

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Jeremy said:
I have recently uploaded my project to our production server. Everything ran
fine on my test box, but after trying to set permissions to the folder, I
receive the error message "Failed to start monitoring file changes." Can
someone please help?

Jeremy, check out this page:
http://www.asp.net/security.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

Happy Programming!

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

jongalloway

Also check:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316721
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q317955

If those don't work, there are some more complex causes of this
problem:

[BUG: IWAM Account Is Not Granted the Impersonate Privilege for ASP.NET
1.1 on a Windows 2000 Domain Controller with SP4]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824308

If you're using impersonation, you may need to verify that the
C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files

You can also use FileMon from SysInternals to diagnose file access
problems:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

- Jon

Jeremy Ames

I ran into some KB articles that said I needed to give access to the ASP.NET
account as well as any impersonators, and I was finally able to get it going
by adding the SYSTEM account.

Thanks for all of your help.

--

Thanks,