    And which of the "Directory" option in IIS need to be activated?

    Thanks for help!

    Steffen

    Steffen Loringer, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Steffen Loringer

    Shan Guest

    You need your aspx,ascx(any other controls u
    have),web.config,any images and your bin directory.
    (.cs/.vb files are not needed as they go into dll files in
    bin directory)

    Thanks,
    -Shan

    be transfered
    >to the "final" server system to make the application

    working?

    Shan, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Any file that ends with .as## (.asax, .aspx, .asmx, .ascx), the .config file
    and any .dll files. You may also have to move .disco, .js (custom), .css, if
    you use them. You do not have to move source files, and it is unwise to do
    so.

    The easiest way to transfer is the Copy Project in Visual Studio .NET, as it
    gives you the option to only move files that are necessary to run the
    project. The app will have to already be set up on the production machine to
    run. The copy can be through a file share (if you have proper NTFS perms) or
    through FrontPage extensions (if installed and you are an author on the
    machine). You can also create an installer, but I do not advise this
    methodology as it kills xcopy deploy of web apps.

    Not sure what you mean by the Directory option. If you have a web app set up
    on the production machine, you are rolling after moving files. The app does
    need scripting execution rights, and in Win 2k3, you also have to allow
    ASP.NET to run. Whether it is anon access (default) or further restricted
    does not affect the app running, except that only authorized users will be
    able to use. If this does not hit what you need to know for IIS settings,
    please rephrase the question and I will give more info.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 15, 2004
  4. > which of the asp.net files on my development system must be transfered
    > to the "final" server system to make the application working?

    If you are using compiled DLLs, the source code files for them do NOT have
    to be deployed. ASPX files do need to be, as well as configuration files
    (global.asax, web.config).

    > And which of the "Directory" option in IIS need to be activated?

    If I knew what you meant by that, I could answer it. I can tell you this
    much. The configuration files need to go into the root directory of your web
    application. The DLLs go into the /bin folder directly under the root
    directory of the web application.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Thanks Gregory!

    The problem is that my application uses a Microsoft Access database. I'm
    generating a new test_object. It is accessing the database during
    test_object.ReadFromDatabase().
    This works fine on all my computers (desktop,laptop etc..) under XP and
    IIS but once I copy the complete folder onto the server it's not working
    anymore.
    .....Reference not set to an instance of an object....

    Suggestions?

    Thanks a lot!

    Steffen Loringer, Jan 15, 2004