ASP.NET Files necessary on production system

Steffen Loringer

Hi all,

which of the asp.net files on my development system must be transfered
to the "final" server system to make the application working?
And which of the "Directory" option in IIS need to be activated?

Thanks for help!

Steffen

Shan

You need your aspx,ascx(any other controls u
have),web.config,any images and your bin directory.
(.cs/.vb files are not needed as they go into dll files in
bin directory)

Thanks,
-Shan

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Any file that ends with .as## (.asax, .aspx, .asmx, .ascx), the .config file
and any .dll files. You may also have to move .disco, .js (custom), .css, if
you use them. You do not have to move source files, and it is unwise to do
so.

The easiest way to transfer is the Copy Project in Visual Studio .NET, as it
gives you the option to only move files that are necessary to run the
project. The app will have to already be set up on the production machine to
run. The copy can be through a file share (if you have proper NTFS perms) or
through FrontPage extensions (if installed and you are an author on the
machine). You can also create an installer, but I do not advise this
methodology as it kills xcopy deploy of web apps.

Not sure what you mean by the Directory option. If you have a web app set up
on the production machine, you are rolling after moving files. The app does
need scripting execution rights, and in Win 2k3, you also have to allow
ASP.NET to run. Whether it is anon access (default) or further restricted
does not affect the app running, except that only authorized users will be
able to use. If this does not hit what you need to know for IIS settings,
please rephrase the question and I will give more info.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Kevin Spencer

which of the asp.net files on my development system must be transfered
to the "final" server system to make the application working?

If you are using compiled DLLs, the source code files for them do NOT have
to be deployed. ASPX files do need to be, as well as configuration files
(global.asax, web.config).
And which of the "Directory" option in IIS need to be activated?

If I knew what you meant by that, I could answer it. I can tell you this
much. The configuration files need to go into the root directory of your web
application. The DLLs go into the /bin folder directly under the root
directory of the web application.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Steffen Loringer

Thanks Gregory!

The problem is that my application uses a Microsoft Access database. I'm
generating a new test_object. It is accessing the database during
test_object.ReadFromDatabase().
This works fine on all my computers (desktop,laptop etc..) under XP and
IIS but once I copy the complete folder onto the server it's not working
anymore.
.....Reference not set to an instance of an object....

Suggestions?

Thanks a lot!