ASP.Net form not posting!

Ian.Suttle

I am have been researching this issue to no end, so any help would be
very much appreciated.

I have a page with form tags. Inside of the form tags is a panel that
contains a user control. The form tags are NOT inside of the user
control. Inside that user control are a few panels that contains
different steps of an application (for applying to something). When I
go to step 1 and submit, the asp:validators catch the errors and the
form doesn't post. So far this is what I would expect. Once I correct
the errors, the validation messages go away, but the form will still
not post.

Here is what is weird. This was developed on Windows XP Pro, and works
flawlessly there. I have also tested the exact same code on a Windows
2000 server and it works perfectly there as well. As soon as I upload
this to my production Windows 2003 server it produces the behavior that
I described above. I thought to myself that this may be validation
file issues, but I am using the aspnet_client\system_web\1_1_4322 files
placed in the root of my application.

This is at a web host, not my own windows 2003 server, so I am somewhat
limited as to what I can see or do on that server.

Does anyone have ANY ideas at this point? Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Ian Suttle

Scott Allen

Ian:

Are you hitting the application from a browser on the Win2003 machine?
The hardened security mode in Win2003 prevents javascript execution by
default. I wasn't sure if you were actually on the server or not since
it is hosted.

Kevin Spencer

Are you sure that the form is not posting? What makes you think so?

You say that you have "a page with form tags." This sounds suspiciously like
you have a nested form in your page, as an ASP.Net Page is almost always a
WebForm. If you have inserted form tags into a WebForm, you most likely have
a nested form. Nested forms are not a good idea, and generally (depending
upon the browser) misbehave in any number of ways.

A form not posting is not a server-side issue, as the form is an HTML
document that resides on the client machine, in the client browser. Only
once the form has posted (sent a Request to the server) does the server come
into play. Therefore, if the form is not posting, you most likely have a
problem with your client-side HTML (such as nested form tags).

If you post a URL, we can look at the client-side HTML.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ian Suttle

Kevin,

Thanks for the response. There is only 1 set of form tags. I was
simply trying to show the hierarchy of everything in my explanation. I
know that it isn't posting because the page doesn't do any sort of
reload.

Your statement of a form posting or not relating to the server is not
quite accurate. Since we are dealing with ASP.Net, the pages are
compiled by the server, which creates its own render of the HTML. I
have found that XP renders differently than W2K, etc. For instance, a
form name will be renamed to "__ASPNETFORM" or somethign similar on XP,
and not that on W2K.

You can view the page by going to
http://www.PawsitiveConnect.com/Join.aspx?to=1 and then choosing either
of the two applications on the bottom half of that page.
Thanks again!

Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ian,

Wish I had good news for you. On a Windows XP Pro box and a Windows Server
2003 box, we loaded your page into IE, and it would not submit. We loaded it
into Netscape on the same (XP Pro) box, and it worked. If you got it to work
on an XP Pro box, you might want to check the version of IE that it is
running. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with IE6.

Unfortunately, the amount and complexity of the JavaScript generated by the
Page validator controls was too large for us to spend the amount of time
debugging it to identify the exact cuase of the problem. It seems odd that
you are not among a large group of people that may be having this same
problem on IE with ASP.Net page validators.

I'm just wondering here, but it could have something to do with Service Pack
2 and IE 6, or just with IE6. But again, I haven't heard anything about
issues with these. On the other hand, we don't use the built-in ASP.Net
validation for our apps.

Another alternative is, what version of ASP.Net are you using? If the
problem lies with IE6, it could be due to using ASP.Net version 1.0, which
came out prior to IE6, rather than using ASP.Net 1.1, which came out after
IE6. Just guessing here.

I hope that someone who has experience with this issue can help you further.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ian Suttle

Kevin,

Well this hole gets deeper and deeper huh? I am using IE 6.0 with SP1.
I do not have SP2 installed.

Check this out. Go to
http://www.iansuttle.com/clients/pawsitiveconnection/join.aspx?to=1 and
run the same test as before. This is on a W2K server and is the exact
same code. In fact, I pulled it from he W2K3 box and put it on the W2K
box. This actually works here!

If anyone else has additional information, any help would be great!
Thanks,
Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Kevin Spencer

Well, Ian, when you're right, you're right. That page works for me too,
regardless of the browser.

I'm wondering what the differences between the .Net platform versions on the
2 server machines might be. They are obviously spitting out slightly
different HTML to the client.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ian Suttle

I was able to narrow it down to the onSubmit logic of the form tag. I
am going to try to work with it some more tonight, but it may be that I
have to remove the standard asp validation and do it all with my own
validation.

Anyways, thank you for your assistance, I do appreciate it.
Regards,
Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Peter Blum

Hi Ian,

Sorry for joining in so late. This question is asked so frequently on
www.asp.net forums that I've posted a FAQ there:
http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=739537

Simply put, there is a bug in the scripts of one particular ASP.NET 1.1
release. This thread gives you what some other users did to fix the script
code.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx

Ian Suttle

Fantastic! Thank you Peter. That is exactly where I had tracked it
down to, but hadn't had the chance to do anything with it yet. I will
attempt the fix provided and let you know how it goes.

Don't ever be sorry for joining late if you have the right answer :)
Thank you,
Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Ian Suttle

Wow, suddenly Google Groups isn't posting for me. If this is a second
post, I apologize.

Thanks for the assistance Peter. I am going to give those fixes a shot
tonight and I'll let you know how it goes!
Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Ian Suttle

Ok, I'll try this one more time today. If this message ends up being a
repeat, I apologize. I am using the Google Groups 2 beta and it has a
couple of bugs :).

I wanted to say thanks Peter for the post. I think that that solution
will work. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I will post back
tomorrow to relay my status.