ASP.NET Forms Authentication Via A SQL Server Database With Windows User types?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Todd, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Todd

    Todd Guest

    We have built an ASP.NET application that will run on the Intranet using SQL
    2000 as our data layer. We have decided to use Form Authentication coupled
    with SQL Server Security (due to the fact users will be jumping to and from
    different clients/browsers to work).

    Our scenario: we are adding users to a SQL 2000 database via their company's
    Windows Active Directory (example, in SQL security tab, add new users - find
    him/her within the domain, etc.). They are stored as a Windows User type in
    the SQL database, not as a Standard SQL user type.

    The problem I am having is that I cannot open a sqlconnection using these
    usernames and passwords within my ASP.NET logon code.

    However, I tested it using a Standard SQL user type and it worked.

    Is it possible to use ASP.NET Forms authentication via a SQL Server database
    with Windows User types? Or is it only possible to use this method using SQL
    Standard user types?

    Thanks guys. Any help/advice would be great!

    -Todd

    Todd, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Todd

    Joe Audette Guest

    I would recommend not creating connection strings per
    user because every variation of connection string uses
    more connection pools. I would suggest creating just afew
    connection strings with sql users representing groups
    with the same permissions.

    Joe Audette, Dec 10, 2003

  3. > Is it possible to use ASP.NET Forms authentication via a SQL Server
    database
    > with Windows User types? Or is it only possible to use this method using

    SQL
    > Standard user types?

    No. The Windows user type in SQL Server uses the security context of the
    users connection, not a username and password.

    Mike

    Mike Kruchten, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Thanks Mike.

    Yeah, we have decided to go with SQL Server security vs Windows (using
    Standard SQL Users, not the Windows Users) - it just seems to be the ideal
    authentication protocol with what we are trying to scope.

    -Todd

    Todd, Dec 11, 2003