ASP.Net Forms authentication with basic authentication popup

Brett Porter

Relatively new to ASP.Net but have a strange problem.

My site uses forms authentication for a large administration section
however after the user logs in each page they subsequently click on
brings up a basic authentication dialogue box. Clicking cancel will
still allow the user to view the page but this quickly becomes very
annoying.

What is even more confusing is that for another part on the same site
I decided to use session variables for a secondary, much smaller
administration section and not the ASP.Net forms authentication but
the same problem occurs, each page the user clicks on brings the basic
authentication popup prior to display.

Any suggestions?

Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT]

Probably in your pages there are some referenced file (css, js) that are in
another folder that requires authentication, this can explain why you can
browse succesfully the page even if you click cancel.

HtH,