    I'm using...
    VS2003
    Win2000 Professional

    Marty McDonald, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Marty McDonald

    Sharon Guest

    Installed microsoft updates lately?

    "Marty McDonald" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > For some reason, I can't run any ASP.Net apps on my machine. I can't open
    > them in VS.Net either, it hangs while trying to open a web project.
    > Non-asp.Net apps work, so I don't think the problem is IIS. I've

    restarted

    Sharon, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Hi Marty,

    From your description, you found that you can't run any ASP.NET web
    applications on your machine , also unable to open them in VS.NET yes?

    As for this problem, I'd like to confirm some further things on it:
    1. Since you mentioned that everything works well for several months,then
    do you remember there is any new changes or updates on this machine which
    may cause this issue?

    2.Have you tried creating a virutal directory(configure as an application)
    and put a very simple asp.net web application in it. And then visit the
    page in the simple app from IE to see whether it'll hang. (Also, you can
    also try visiting a simple classic ASP page to see whether asp page will
    suffer the same problem)

    3.If the problem is specified to ASP.NET, I think we'd like to do some
    further research. But I think you can try resintall ASP.NET via the
    "aspnet_regiis -i" command in the vs.net command prompt. Here is the
    reference on ASP.NET IIS Registration tool in MSDN:
    #ASP.NET IIS Registration Tool (Aspnet_regiis.exe)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cptools/html/cpgrfaspnetiisregistrat
    iontoolaspnet_regiisexe.asp?frame=true

    Please check out the above items. Also, you can perform some other steps so
    as to isolate the problem. If you have any new findings, please feel free
    to post here. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 21, 2004
  4. For item #1, there were no updates. For item #2, I did try other apps, they
    did not work either. I tried item #3, and now everything works fine!
    Thanks for the help!

    Just for everyone's information... Here is a little more detail on exactly
    what happened:
    Yesterday while working on an ASP.Net app, I wrote code in global.asax for
    the app, and I accidentally wrote an infinite "while" loop. So I stopped
    the app. After that point everything stopped working, even after restart.
    I don't think that would have caused my trouble, but FYI in case people are
    interested.

    Marty McDonald, Apr 21, 2004
  5. I spoke too soon! At first, # 3 worked for me. Now, the problem is back.
    I'm working to check if any updates were applied to our machines yesterday.
    But I'm open to other ideas.

    Marty McDonald, Apr 21, 2004
  6. OK ! Now I have really solved the problem!
    Whenever you simply open a project in Visual Studio.Net, an application
    error is raised. I don't know why that happens. But this causes any code
    in "Application_Error" of global.asax to be executed. In my case,
    Application_Error had an infinite "while" loop. This explains why my
    aspnet_wp.exe process used 99% of CPU. It explains why my other ASP.Net
    apps (but non-ASP.Net were OK) would also hang after trying to open that
    first app.

    To solve the problem, I went to the bin of my app and deleted the dll which
    contains my Application_Error handling code. Then, I was able to open the
    app with Visual Studio.Net without problems. I altered by "while" loop so
    that it would perform properly. Now, everything is OK.

    Marty McDonald, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Hi Marty,

    Thanks for your followup. I feel glad that the problem has been resolved.
    Have a good day!

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support