ASP.Net horrow story and questions...

Steve Wagner

This is kind of lengthy as I wanted to include as much relevant
information as possible. This problem has me dead in the water and
clients waiting, any help is extremely appreciated!

Configuration Details

Web Server:

* Window 2000 Server, SP4

* Multiple IP addresses assigned to primary NIC

* IIS 5
- IIS Admin: LocalSystem account (no interaction with desktop)

- W3SVC: LocalSystem account (no interaction with desktop)
- Anonymous access enabled using a global ADS account
- FPSE not installed
- Home Directories have a Application defined
- Multiple Web Sites each assigned an IP Address
- wwwroot moved from C:\ to RAID5 array
- each web site has a folder at the same level as wwwroot

* ASP.Net
- Version: v1.1.4322
- processModel:
- userName: "machine"
- password: "AutoGenerate"

Problem

1. In IIS Manager on Web Server create a new Web Site
A. Uses a distinct IP address on the primary NIC, Port 80, no host
header.

B. Path given to a new folder on the RAID5 drive. Anonymous access
allowed.

C. Read, Run scripts (such as ASP) permissions granted.

2. Add DNS record for new site

3. VS.Net 2003
A. Open blank solution

B. Add --> New Project --> C# ASP.NET Web Application,
Location is set to the DNS entry (i.e. -
http://dummy.ciroque-tech.net)

C. Web Access Failed dialog appears, change location
to UNC path of new application folder
(\\web_server\WebSites\Dummy)

- At this point the .csproj and .csproj.webinfo files are created.

- The Global.asax file is created followed immediately by an "Access
is Denied" message box.

- ** Click ok brings up "Save File As" with Global.xml displayed in
the File name combobox.

- Click Save, Global.asax.cs, Global.asax.resx and Global.xml files
are created.

- AssemblyInfo.cs is created.

- Web.config is created.

- WebForm1.aspx is created immediately following by another "Access is
Denied" message box.

- Click OK on the Access is Denied message box beings up a "Save File
As" dialog with WebForm1.aspx in the File name combobox.

- Clicking Save causes another "Access is Denied" message box, I can
either right-click the existing WebForm1.aspx and delete it then Save,
or click Cancel.

- WebForm1.aspx.cs and WebForm1.aspx.resx are created

- ** A message box appears stating:
The class file '$FILENAME $.cs'specified as the codebehind
for 'WebForm1.aspx' could not be loaded.
Make sure that the codebehind attribute in the page or control
directive properly references an existing code behind file.

- Wizard ends and I am left with an open WebForm1.aspx file with
corrupted Codebehind and Inherits attributes on the Page directive
element:
Codebehind="$FILENAME$.cs"
Inherits="$INHERITS$"

-- If I open what is listed in Solution Explorer as "Global.asax" I
get an open document named $FILENAME$.cs as a designer window. Also,
those files are actually created in the web site!

-- If I open the Global.xml that was created I get the correct
Codebehind and Inherits attributes of the Global.asax file!

-- If I modify the WebForm1.aspx file and save it I get an "Access is
Denied" message box, I have to delete the WebForm1.aspx shown in the
listview to actually save the changes!

Do I have the permissions set incorrectly?
Is there something wrong with my Wizard files?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled IIS on the web server.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled VS.Net 2003 on the workstation.
I have added wizard.ReportError call throughout the default.js and
common.js files but not changed any logic otherwise.
I can see where the Global.asax is being generated and it's properties
set, but lose track before the initial "Access is Denied" message box.
If I try to add more Web Forms to the site I get the same sequence of
events as when the initial Web Form is added during the web
application createion wizard.

What in the world is going on???

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Steve Wagner
Ciroque Enterprises, Inc

Steve Wagner

Follow up:

I turned on auditing for the relevant folders on the web server and
the VS.Net workstation and found no failures for object access.

I did, however, notice that the files on the workstation are not being
created. More specifically, the two *problem* files, global.asax and
WebForm1.aspx are not being created.

The *.csproj.user file, along with the aspnet_client, bin and obj
folders (along with the pertinent sub-folders) are being created.
Also, there are _vti_cnf and _vti_pvt folders being created on the
workstation even though FPSE are not being used. I have always
believed those folders are specific to FPSE, am I mistaken?

Anyway, I am going to keep at this (I have no choice), if anyone cares
to dig in and offer sme suggestions I am more than willing to try most
anything!

Thanks,

Steve Wagner
Ciroque Enterprises, Inc

Steve Wagner

Follow up:

I turned on auditing for the workstation and web server and found no
failures reported for object access. Everything seems to be there.

I did notice, however, that the two problem files (globa.asax and
WebForm1.aspx) are not being created on the workstation. The folders
(aspnet_client, bin and obj) and sub-folders seem to be there with the
curiosity of having _vti_cnf and _vti_pvt folders as well. I thought
these files were specific to FPSE, but FPSE are not being used in my
case. Am I mistaken about these folders?

I ensured that the proper user accounts were present in the global
developers ADS group and that the ADS group was present in the VS
Developers group and that the VS Developers group had proper
permissions to the folders on the web server and the workstations.

I will keep working on this (I have no other choice) and if anyone
cares to take a stab at this I am more than happy to try any
suggestions!

Thanks,

Steve Wagner
Ciroque Enterprises, Inc

Guest

Did you ever find out what it was, because I am facing the exact same problems here! I'd appreciate any help or directions, please mail me at michiel1978_at_hotmail_dot_com

Thanks!

User submitted from AEWNET (http://www.aewnet.com/)