Asp.Net. How to ByPass IE Windows Authentication

Frank

Hi,
I wasn't sure which group to use but I'm developing a web application
that connects to a sql server. This application is for External Clients but
the information is sensitive. I thougth that if I do Windows Authentication,
would be the most secure one. I'm not sure if this is true. In any event, I
want to avoid the browser asking for username and password and allowing the
user to type on a username password textboxes on the web form. Is this
possible?
Thank you
Francisco O.
IBLUES.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Frank said:
Hi,
I wasn't sure which group to use

This is my canned response - don't take it personally, Im just saving myself
some typing:

but I'm developing a web
application that connects to a sql server. This application is for
External Clients but the information is sensitive. I thougth that if
I do Windows Authentication, would be the most secure one.

Yes, it is, but external clients would not be authenticated in your domain
would they? That is a requirement for Windows Authentication to work.
I'm not
sure if this is true. In any event, I want to avoid the browser
asking for username and password and allowing the user to type on a
username password textboxes on the web form. Is this possible?

Not with clients who are not authenticated in your domain.

Bob Barrows

Chianti

Well, If you are using Windows Authentication and these people are accessing
your web app across the net that are NOT currently logged in to your domain,
then you are going to have to ask for a username and password. There are
lots of secure ways of performing log ins. I would suggest researching all
the encryption methods that Microsoft offers on the MSDN site.