ASP.net , http and socket creation

thomson

Hi all,
please help me out
"IF 25000 users request a yahoo page, will 25000 sockets will be
created"

For the Server to know which client has requested what there
has to be a socket with the client port no and IP address with the
server port no and IP address. This is my knowledge.

But I came to know this is not the right way,

Can anyone explain to me how this works

please help me out in this I badly need the answer

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

thomson said:
please help me out
"IF 25000 users request a yahoo page, will 25000 sockets will be
created"

For the Server to know which client has requested what there
has to be a socket with the client port no and IP address with the
server port no and IP address. This is my knowledge.

This really isn't an ASP.NET question, per se. You might have better
luck asking on a newsgroup that focuses on low-level details of how a
Web server works, such as microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, or one of the
newsgroups in comp.infosystems.www.servers

Personally, I'm not 100% clear what you are asking. To my knowledge -
which is limited in this area - whenever a request comes into an OS, a
socket is created for the lifetime of the request. But afterwards, the
socket is closed, and can be reclaimed by another incoming request.
Too, as I understand it there are limitations on how many concurrent
incoming communications a system could handle, with bottlenecks at
various points in the network topology.

--

Scott Mitchell
(e-mail address removed)

thomson

Scott Mitchell said:
This really isn't an ASP.NET question, per se. You might have better
luck asking on a newsgroup that focuses on low-level details of how a
Web server works, such as microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, or one of the
newsgroups in comp.infosystems.www.servers

Personally, I'm not 100% clear what you are asking. To my knowledge -
which is limited in this area - whenever a request comes into an OS, a
socket is created for the lifetime of the request. But afterwards, the
socket is closed, and can be reclaimed by another incoming request.
Too, as I understand it there are limitations on how many concurrent
incoming communications a system could handle, with bottlenecks at
various points in the network topology.

Hi
Scott you got my question, You agree that a socket gets created
when a user requests a webpage, But if 25000, users concurrently
request a Webpage Will 25000 sockets will be created, thats all

Regards
thomson

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Scott you got my question, You agree that a socket gets created
when a user requests a webpage, But if 25000, users concurrently
request a Webpage Will 25000 sockets will be created, thats all

Again, I'm not privy on the details, and I'd wager it differs by OS. I
imagine there is some upper bound on the number of concurrent sockets,
but assuming that it's greater than 25000, then, sure, 25000 concurrent
requests would queue up 25000 sockets.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm just knowledgeable
enough in this topic to make plausibly sounding arguments for statements
that are utterly incorrect.