ASP.NET inserts trailing slash in tag

Harlan Messinger

I created a new Web application in VS2005, and added a master page and a
content page based on it. I replaced the default XHTML doctype directive
with one for HTML 4.01 Strict.

In the master page code I placed a link tag, without a slash before the
closing ">". The compiler keeps sticking one in, so that the resulting
page isn't valid HTML. I can't figure out how to keep the compiler from
doing this. Please help!

Harlan Messinger

David said:
Based on XHTML, all tags must have a closing tag, or be self-closing - why
don't you just add the closing slash?
I repeat: I'm not using XHTML, I'm using HTML 4.01.