asp.net isn't resolving an IP address correctly

Guest

I have a web application that uses a web.config file to set the url for a web
service on another machine... when I run the app with an alias for the
machine name I get:

http://RptSvrWR/reportserver/ReportService.asmx
"The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied."

When I literally copy the IP address and overwrite the alias name in my web
config file... everything works fine... anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Oh I should point out that I'm able to ping RptSvrWR from my command prompt.

Kevin Spencer

It may be that the machine has more than one IP address. In addition, there
may be a DNS issue or a Firewall issue. Do you have a network admin you can
ask about this?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Show me your certification without works,
and I'll show my certification
*by* my works.

Guest

I did ask about it... he wasn't all that interested in figuring it out... I
mean the code works on the test environment computer... that was his main
concern.

Kevin Spencer

Well, in that case, stick with the IP address!