ASP.NET limitations?!?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Milan Todorovic, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Hello guys,

    I have an interesting problem which I'm trying to explain. I feel that the
    issue is fairly low level to the ASP.NET architecture.

    The application that I'm writing processes LARGE amounts of data (storing it
    into a DataTable object) and displays the reports it in the DataGrid web
    control. The aspx page in question has some other buttons that do simple
    redirecting or other elementary actions.

    Here is the problem. When the DataGrid is of a reasonable (I know that this
    a vague term) size everything works fine. But, if DataGrid becomes large
    (several thousand rows), the page starts behaving differently. For one, the
    width of the controls on the page (% of the page width) stops working,
    spreading the control wider than the screen. This is annoying but relatively
    benign. The bigger problem is that in such cases if one clicks on any of the
    buttons, the page immediately turns into 'The page cannot be displayed page.
    No data processing, no ASP errors - nothing. Just that page as if you lost
    the connection to the network. And here is the kicker. The page also
    contains regular HTML links. Those work great!

    So, my guess that something with the request/response objects is getting
    corrupted when these objects carry large amounts of data. An overflow
    problem perhaps?!?
    Anybody know reason why this is happening? When I understand the reason I
    might be able to think about ways to fix it, but up to this point I'm
    clueless.

    Thanks,

    Milan
    Milan Todorovic, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Hi Milan,

    I'm wondering if it has to do with the huge viewstate that such a grid would
    maintain? If you aren't allowing editing in the grid, you might want to try
    turning off the viewstate to see if that reduces the huge amount of
    overhead.

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Feb 2, 2005

  3. Ken,

    That worked. Since the grid is used only for displaying (not modifying) data
    I could turn it off. It worked great.

    Milan

    Milan Todorovic, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Milan Todorovic

    SA Guest

    Milan:

    Glad you found a solution. Seems to me like the browser was having some
    issues with the page, rather than ASP.NET. Just out of curiosity, did you
    examine the HTML that was generated to see if the tags were actually
    correctly formed?

    Also, displaying 1000s of rows in a single DataGrid may not be the best way
    to present data to your users. Even though you have found a solution to the
    technical problem, it seems your application could benefit from paging in
    the control as well, to solve a "human issue".

    HTH,

    --

    ---

    Sven.

    SA, Feb 2, 2005
  5. Hi Milan,

    Glad my guess helped. Thanks for reporting back!

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Feb 2, 2005