Asp.net Login Form not working at client site. Stumped :(

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Randy Magruder, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    I hope someone here can diagnose what I'm seeing because I'm stumped.

    I have an asp.net 1.1 application with a login page.

    I have loaded up the Page_Load( ) with trace messages and had them send
    me a dump of the page when they attempt to log in.

    Here, when I log into our test server, I get a dump of trace messages
    showing the full login attempt, what the user typed for user name,
    password,. connecting to the database, loading user configuration data
    etc.

    But THERE, they get my first debug trace message indicating that it's a
    diagnostic DLL they are running (just to prove they are running the DLL
    I gave them for this purpose), but then no more custom trace messages
    come out.

    Instead, they enter their login information, and the login form
    RELOADS, albeit with the login fields blank and 'userid required' and
    'password required' red text messages lighting up, AS IF they had not
    entered anything and then hit Login.

    The trace

    -- Hi,
    Randy Magruder, Feb 13, 2007

  2. Re: Asp.net Login Form not working at client site. Stumped :(

    Sorry, following up from incomplete first post:

    Cookies seem to be unrelated, as turning on/off cookies here didn't
    reproduce the problem (and their trace data shows a cookie and other
    variables being assigned to non null values).

    So what causes the login page to just re-load and act like the user
    didn't enter anything and clicked login?

    Randy
    Randy Magruder, Feb 13, 2007

  3. Re: Asp.net Login Form not working at client site. Stumped :(

    Could you post some code, please?

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Feb 13, 2007
  4. Re: Asp.net Login Form not working at client site. Stumped :(

    Peter Bradley opined:

    > Could you post some code, please?

    The code wouldn't be helpful, I think. It works fine for most clients
    and has for a few years now.

    However, I did discover a MS KB article that says that asp.net 1.1 SP1
    (or is it 2) breaks the submit by changing the code generated in the
    validate JavaScript code.

    I had the client send me their HTML source, and sure enough the
    Javascript that was generated for the Validate was slightly different
    with regard to a return value. I sent the client the MS KB article
    that tells them to do the "aspnet_regiis -c" to update their JS
    validation code and hopefully this will work.

    I'll be posting here for sure if it doesn't :). Looks like we just
    didn't keep our development boxes up to date with ASP.NET or we would
    have seen the same behavior. *sigh*.

    Randy
    Randy Magruder, Feb 14, 2007